Compressors and "Hazardous materials"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My neighborhood just voted to adopt a new set of restricitive covenants that bans the storage of "hazardous materials" on the property.

Now I am being asked to remove all of my oxygen cylinders, storage banks, and scuba cylinders to comply. I spent over $15,000 putting this entire system together and am not interested in getting rid of it.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can or should fight this?

I despise lawyers, but will resort to legal consultation as a last resort.

(I own my home.)

Start with a check to see if they are also banning LP bottles and gas cans (containers) which offer a similar and perhaps more severe hazard. Such containers would, of course, include gas tanks on lawn mowers and autos.

Did you vote to approve the covenants? Are you sure the new covenants were legally implemented?

You can always tell them that all cylinders "stored" on your property are empty.

Mucho gracias awap

Here's a short list of some of the hazardous materials we commonly keep around the house...

Alcohol, rubbing or otherwise (I prefer the potable variety)
Cleaning supplies, bleach, amonia, etc.
Batteries, of all sizes, including rechargable power tool batteries.
Poisons for pests, Raid, etc.
Lighter fluid, refillable butane, cigarette lighters
Propane tanks for BBQ grill.
Drain cleaner like Draino
Fuel, fuel cans, including your small gas appliances and your vehicles.
Paint cans, spray paint (flammable pressurized vessel), and solvents like paint thinners, acetone, Lacquer thinner etc.
Degreasers, brake cleaner, carb and choke cleaner, etc.
Lubricants, grease, etc.
Adhesives, contact cement, PVC cement, silicone, etc.
Gasses for welding and cutting. Keep in mind that you can asphyxiate in inert gases like nitrogen or argon.
Perfumes.

Not to mention flammable objects like fire wood, your bushes, or your whole house.

Myth busters did a great video about what an electrical hot water heater can do if you over pressurize it, essentially level the whole house... probably shouldn't have hot water either...

Are your bottles strapped to the wall per OSHA regulations? Are the bottles in Hydro per DOT requirements?

Here's a link to the wikipedia article about Hazardous Materials... The list is so broad, we're pretty much surrounded by them constantly. Not sure why non flamable pressureized gases would be worse than oxidizers, poisons, or flamable items.

Dangerous goods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are oxygen bottles not used for medical purposes? Therefore they have no right to ban them as I am sure someone in the neighborhood will require oxygen at some point. What if you were trained in dispensing o2, as in a first responder/o2 provider?

To me scuba gear is not hazardous material, but it could be dangerous for explosions if mishandled.

The thread listed above does list propane bottles, and that is a good place to start with.

Did someone come and knock on your door specifically to tell you to remove them?

I would get what they have in writing, before attempting to do anything.

Ridiculous!

Civic organizations are overseen by "umbrella groups" that help prevent some PIA with a grudge from having his/her way with the community. Look for something with "Council of Civic Organizations of..." in the title.

This action sounds personal and targeted. Contact your local government representative, county council rep, or whatever you guys call the bottom-most rung of government.

Are they targeting you, or is there some other issue? Next look at the broad nature of the prohibition. Unless they specify compressed gas, or oxygen, lay low. It is easy to read into some generic prohibition and overreact. If you are being singled out, you have an easier cause of action. If not, it's not your fight. Medical oxygen is another good spoiler. Stay calm, sort it out and proceed rationally. Chances are they are not.

Tell whoever is targeting you that it's all gone.

Thanks for all of the info.

No one is targeting me, I've been there for 10 years and never had any issues with anyone. The teenage kid next door watches after my house when I'm on vacation.

The homeowner's association just voted in a new set of covenants (90% approval was required) that bans "hazardous materials." I think I fight this.

I can't tell anyone that "it's gone" because when I open my garage door there are 15 scuba cylinders, 3 bank bottles, 4 oxygen tanks and one argon tank -- all sitting right there

Back
Top Bottom