Computer choices - new diver with high aspirations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCope3

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a dive computer. I'll admit, it's my first one and I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I know where I want to go with diving, so I want a computer that is a good computer for now, but is a natural predecessor to a much more complex computer in the future.

I'll explain:
I'm fairly new to diving - ok very new to diving - but I already know that I have a future in it as a career in some capacity. I've already been doing quite a bit of research, trying to build up my knowledge base, and I'm working (slowly but surely) on gaining the practical experience underwater as well. I don't like to rush things, so I'm making sure I have more than enough comfort before I try to progress with certifications. That said, my ultimate goal (in terms of certification) is technical diving with CCR. I know it's going to take a LONG time to get to that point, but that's where I want to go.

I say that to say this: I don't want to invest in a Shearwater or something of that caliber just yet, because by the time I reach the point where I can actually use all of its functions (a few years at least, I'm sure), there will probably be a newer version or something on the market at that time, and that's what I'll want to go for then.

However, I also don't want to buy something too simple to where I have to upgrade anytime soon. I want flexibility between rec and tec, and I want something that naturally leads to my next computer. Here is what I've been looking at, and I'm open to other suggestions as well:

• Suunto Vyper NOVO: lots of different modes, can be air integrated, multi-gas compatible (I'm Nitrox certified), all around a good computer and I've seen many good reviews. The downside (depending on your point of view) is that it uses the Suunto RGBM algorithm. I understand that is pretty conservative, and for some it is much too conservative. I know that more conservative means safer, but at the same time, if I will upgrade to a more technical computer in the future that uses Buhlmann ZHL-16B (and some even include VPM-B as well), then why not go for a computer now that uses that same algorithm?
  • Oceanic Geo 2.0: I've read a lot about this one as well, and it seems to be more robust, and once you get the hang of using it, it's not so complicated. It's more expensive and runs on an algorithm based on Buhlmann, but not the true Buhlmann (maybe for me that doesn't matter?).
  • iDive Tech+: Right now this one is on sale for not much more than the regular retail of the Suunto Vyper NOVO, which is why I would go for it over the iDive Easy or iDive Pro. It has a lot of different features, capabilities, and can be accessorized like crazy. I like that it has its own oxygen sensor (sold separately though) that hooks straight into the computer, but I feel like a separate oxygen analyzer is always a better idea. It can go deep, even though I don't need that right now it gives me flexibility in the future. The thing I don't like about this is I've read some negative reviews about its reliability, and an unreliable computer is a huge no-no, in my opinion.

Bottom line, here is what I'm looking for:
  • Ability to go deep (so that I can continue to use it throughout any rec diving, and even in the beginning of tec diving), but not necessarily more than 80 meters for now. I feel like at that point, I would want a more complex computer since that would require a much higher certification.
  • Buhlmann algorithm (unless in your collective opinion this is a stupid thing to get hung up on at this point - I just like the idea of consistency from this computer to the next).
  • Air, Nitrox, Trimix, and Free Dive mode (I like to free dive as well, and I would like to not have to buy a separate computer for that) - again this gives flexibility to the future, while not overloading on things that will be useless to me in the near future.
  • Reasonably user friendly - I have no problem figuring out a complicated operating system, but I don't want to be focusing on that while I'm actually diving, I'd rather have something that can be navigated easily so that I can focus on the dive.
  • Ability for air integration. Right now I don't really care about it that much, but in the future I might want to do that.
  • Compass - I like having as much on the computer as I can have, and obviously carrying redundant analog equipment as well. I just want a compass function on the computer to make things easier underwater rather than checking multiple devices.
That's all I can think of for now. Really if the algorithm thing isn't such a big deal, I'm pretty sold on the Suunto Vyper NOVO, unless you all tell me that's stupid.

Sorry for the long post. I'm obsessed with details and long-winded. Happy to read your feedback, and thanks in advance!

Joe

Get the Shearwater. A non AI Perdix is better value than any of your choices. You can find them used too.

Get the Shearwater. A non AI Perdix is better value than any of your choices. You can find them used too.

I probably wouldn't need another one after that, would I? But will the technology not change very much in a few years time (when I was thinking I would be in the market for a tech computer)?

Hi @JCope3

If you want all your options, Buhlmann, trimix, and AI, you only have 3 brands to look at, Ratio, Shearwater, and Heinrichs Weikamp. The latter brand is not available in the US, but is available to you in Italy. Only the Ratio Tech+ models have custom GF, other models, Easy and Deep, have 6 presets. Ratio runs Buhlmann ZH-L16B, other two run C.

Good luck

I'm a huge Shearwater fanboy, even for recreational divers. The customer support, the readability, the user interface, the flexibility, the easy of battery replacement, the build quality, etc...

That having been said, Is your budget tight at this point? If so, just get something cheap (even used) while you do the next year or so of diving and decide if you really want to end up doing tech dives on a CCR. Virtually ANY modern dive computer will do nitrox and will cover any depth that you will be hitting, and you don't really need AI (I don't like it, but that's another discussion).

If you love diving and move on into tech or CCR, the $200 you spend on your first computer will be a drop in the bucket - you will spend almost that much on a keg of sorb.

THAT having been said, if you are flush with cash, pick up a Perdix like the other's have said. You will never regret it, you will never grow out of it. Yes, there may be a few new things in the future, but I can't imagine any dive computer upgrade that will make your Perdix "obsolete".

If you have even more money and REALLY like new shiny stuff, check out the Shearwater Teric! Me, I prefer my Petrel, although I don't use it any more now that I have a NERD.

If I had a dollar for every time I read “I’m a new diver and want a career in diving!” I would have more Shearwatera than I already have!!

Find a used Petrel or Perdix. Problem solved.

@JCope3: If you are going to do OC technical diving, then think of your first computer purchase as being the backup computer to whatever you buy later for tech diving. Some people do tech diving with one tech computer and a bottom timer. I do not. Nowadays, i can't see any good reason not to backup your tech computer with another tech computer.

If you buy a Shearwater now (and I personally would buy the Teric), it will make a perfectly good backup to whatever the latest and greatest is later, when you do start down the tech path. For that matter, even if you go straight to CCR, some CCR divers like to have a standalone computer as backup to the controller and monitors on their CCR. So, a Shearwater would still be money well spent - if you end up on CCR and want that third computer as backup to the backup. There is an advantage (in at least one failure scenario) to having a standalone backup with CC mode, even if you have a controller and a backup monitor on your CCR. But, that is beyond the scope of this thread. :)

The only computer you named that I would even consider is the iDive. But, I would spend the extra money for the Teric over that iDive all day, every day. 3 main reasons for that: Readability, Customer Service, and CC mode. The Teric has CC mode, so you can use it as a backup for CCR dives. The iDive Tech does not have CC mode (as far as I know).

If you are going tech and CCR, any of the computers you listed will eventually end up being a waste of money, as they'll be useless to you, even as a backup. That is talking about diving CCR. 2 of them would be useless even in OC Tech, unless you are willing to dive with it in gauge mode (which is fine, if you want, but not as good, to me, as just having a backup tech computer).

Lastly, if you are buying a Shearwater, I would think long and hard before buying one that does not have AI support. That is only thing about buying a Shearwater now where you might regret it later - if you buy one without AI and then later decide you want to use AI. You don't have to use it. But, if you buy one without it, then you CAN'T use it.

I say that to say this: I don't want to invest in a Shearwater or something of that caliber just yet, because by the time I reach the point where I can actually use all of its functions (a few years at least, I'm sure), there will probably be a newer version or something on the market at that time, and that's what I'll want to go for then.

Keep in mind that dive computers are not cellphones, there is rarely a pressing need to upgrade to the latest and greatest. And even then, a firmware upgrade can give you the latest and greatest functionality. On a shearwater-level device, that is: a zoop or even a geo is pretty much a bottom timer once you go tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom