Computer Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
You guys have helped me before soI'm relying on you now. I think Dell can build me a computer for my editing that will also fit my budget. What do you people think

Dell Inspiron 530

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 Processor (2.4G)
Windows Vista Premium w SP1
2G DDR2 800ram (more later)
500G hard drive (I'll use 1TB external for video)
ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 128MB
16X DVD+/_RW burner (I also have an external w/ Litescribe)
19-1 media card reader
Integrated 7.1 Channel audio
Wireless keyboard and mouse
19" Flat Panel monitor w/TrueLife
Wireless PCI card
2 External A225 speakers

Total price is under a grand.

There's a good chance I'll set this up to use my 40" HDTV for a monitor. I'm planning on buying a 1TB external hard drive to store the videoand I already have an external DVD burner w/Litescribe. Later I'll do some upgrading to do HD, but for standard def what do you guys think?

Not a bad setup. A few comments...

1. Dump the Vista

2. You are probably going to want to dump the video card

3. You are going to be amazed at how small that 19" monitor is. :)

4. Skip the speakers and get a set of decent headphones.

Not bad for under a grand though.

OK, so what if I upgrade to a Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256mb Video card? And speakers are gone. I can always hook up to my Bose Surround System. Were also over my budget, but if you don't leak it to my wife I might just get away with this.

PF, everybody seems to be against Vista. What is the deal? It seems the only way to get XP or XP Pro any more is to custom build. Maybe I'm dense, but jut how much does the OS have to do with the editing process. And I know the 19" monitor is going to be small, but it's bigger than the 17" I'm using now. If you caught my first post I'm planning on using my 40" HDTV for viewing when editing. I have noticed that colors are not the same on that as they appeared on my PC during editing. So why not SEE what I'm going to be looking at later, right?

OK, next. Empty V, why are you not a fan of Dell systems? I hear this more than enough and wonder why. I look at it and figure each manufacturer of a computer product (Processor, video carxd, HD, and so forth)makes the same piece of hardware. Now you have companies like Dell, HP, Acer, and others design their systems, buy the hardware from whoever and assemble it. So how can one like Dell get it all wrong when they are using the same components? Please edumacate me.

You guys have helped me before soI'm relying on you now. I think Dell can build me a computer for my editing that will also fit my budget. What do you people think

Dell Inspiron 530

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 Processor (2.4G)
Windows Vista Premium w SP1
2G DDR2 800ram (more later)
500G hard drive (I'll use 1TB external for video)
ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 128MB
16X DVD+/_RW burner (I also have an external w/ Litescribe)
19-1 media card reader
Integrated 7.1 Channel audio
Wireless keyboard and mouse
19" Flat Panel monitor w/TrueLife
Wireless PCI card
2 External A225 speakers

Total price is under a grand.

There's a good chance I'll set this up to use my 40" HDTV for a monitor. I'm planning on buying a 1TB external hard drive to store the videoand I already have an external DVD burner w/Litescribe. Later I'll do some upgrading to do HD, but for standard def what do you guys think?

I use Dell workstations for all of my editing and have had very good luck with them.

Expanding somewhat on what PerroneFord said:
Dump the graphics card: Look for something with at least 256mb, preferably more. I have had very good luck with the Nvidia Quadro FX. ( I am currently using the Quadro FX 5600)

Monitor: He is 100% correct. I have two 21" monitors and I still want more space. Real Estate on monitors while editing is priceless.

Vista: As everyone else has stated, run as fast as you can back to XP!

Hope that helps!

OK, next. Empty V, why are you not a fan of Dell systems? I hear this more than enough and wonder why. I look at it and figure each manufacturer of a computer product (Processor, video carxd, HD, and so forth)makes the same piece of hardware. Now you have companies like Dell, HP, Acer, and others design their systems, buy the hardware from whoever and assemble it. So how can one like Dell get it all wrong when they are using the same components? Please edumacate me.

I know a lot of people have had success with Dells, I just know what I see. When I go down to my local PC place their test bench is usually riddled with them. But, that could mean that there are a lot more Dells in the area. I stick with HP because I've been using them forever and they've been reliable for me. Mostly I'm a mac guy so maybe my opinion might not be worth it's weight in feathers.

Eventually everyone will have to go to Vista, it's just the way it is. Waiting for the next MS OS is pointless. I think the time between XP and Vista was about 7 years. As much as I despise the thought of it, it's reality. Vista sucks no doubt about that but if you're a PC person you might as well start getting used to it now, it's going to happen regardless so make the jump. There is always the free, more efficient, better Linux alternative but most people aren't aware of it existence or don't want to put the thought into changing from what they already know.

Best of luck!

Billy

Last edited:
I have been looking at a new lap top to travel with and do my home editing with. I was trying to stay away from Vista, but it is hard. To get the better video card you have to go to Vista. Also dell had on there web site last week that June 18th will be the last day you can get XP. They said something about there liscence running out.

well at least the one I have. purchased a Pavillion 9700T for portable video work mid January. It stopped working mid March HP, stated that if it had stopped 1 week earlier they could replace it , now I would have to send it in for repair and loss all data. As for service that is a word they don't understand. As of today I still have not received my rebate on a printer I purchased at the same time. First they say they got the laptop serial # but no printer serial #, so I resend the printer info and they say they have the printer info but no laptop info:11:. I don't know about there PC but this laptop feels flimsy. Between outsourcing their customer service to India and Costa Rica you will find your self asking them to repeat themselves over and over, yes I know every one is outsourcing but they seem to hire the rejects. OP please consider another brand for you own sanity.

I'll put in a bid for Apple OS and their non-linear video editing systems + apple customer service (again).

I was working again with PC's yesterday and saw how dodgy they are. Really twitching sh_t.

That being said, a huge number of pros. in photography and video use Apples. Customer care is usually rated #1. The desktops also typically rate #1 in dependability. Mac's can run Windows programs. The video software comes free. Upgraded programs like Final Cut Express can be purchased for under 200.00. The OS is typically stable and Mac offers free software updates. Of course, big stuff you have to pay for.

In short, I am less pissed off with Apple than I am with Windows. My 6 Macs survive to this day while all three of my PC's are dead. In the end I am less pissed off with Apple service than with any Windows-based vendor with whom I usually end up in a burlesque-show cavalcade of "who's going to help me next."

X

I'll put in a bid for Apple OS and their non-linear video editing systems + apple customer service (again).

X

Which one does he get for under $1k like he asked?

Back
Top Bottom