Computer Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My work desktop is a Dell with Vista. Both my video editing machines are Dells with XP/Pro. Our statewide migration to Vista has been very painful. Even with things like MS Outlook that you'd think would be bulletproof.

Well fellows. It was time to quit fooling around and with some advice from certain individuals I just has to bite the bullet and git-r-done. The order is in place and here's what I have coming.

DELL Inspiron 530

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
MS XP/Pro Operating system
500GB hard drive
3GB DDR2 800 Ram
Std. Intel 3100 video card (will replace with one from Tiger Direct)
No monitor
No speakers (headphones)
1505 Wireless Internet card
Wireless (lazer) keyboard & mouse

I finally figured it was time to take the bull by the horns and just do it. You guys can only help so much. Nobody can open my wallet but me. And although I'm working with a budget I can always change things a bit at atime as I get more experience or changes are needed.

For the meantime I'm going to use my 17" monitor and headphones when the wife is home. When I'm here along I'll use my 40" Samsung for a monitor and the Bose Surround System for the music.

I thank one and all for their advice. I have learned a lot from all of it. It has lead me to research many hardware components. And I don't know one person who recommended Vista over XP so that's why I went with XP/Pro.

So ummm... what editing software are you gonna use? :)

A little late, perhaps, but here is the key:

I love Dell's busines machines. I HATE Dell's consumer machines.

Ditto for HP/Compaq... to a somewhat lesser extent.

So dump the Inspiron and Dimension junk. Instead, buy from Dell's business lines: OptiPlex and Latitude, for desktops and laptops. The Precision workstations are good, too, but tend to be a little spendier.

They're not really much more expensive than the consumer crap you buy at Walmart and Staples, but there is a WORLD of difference in quality and support.

All of Dell's BUSINESS models are available (and supported) with XP, by the way.

So ummm... what editing software are you gonna use? :)

PF, I've had my editing program for a month now. Just making up my mind as to what I'm going to load it on. As we discussed at an earlier date I needed something simple enough for me to work with, at least till I get a lot better. I used a trial version of ULead 11 Plus and had favorable results so I went a step further and ordered:

Corel ULead 11.5 Plus

Not that some of the others aren't good. I used a trial of Vegas Platinum 8 and Pinnacle and there is just too much on them for me to comprehend at this point. Maybe 10 years down the road I'll be able to do more with them. But then I'll need a much bigger puter by then, maybe.

Thanks for asking.

Barry

Just to put an end to this I thougt I'd let everybody know I got my new Dell puter today. 4 business days since I placed the order. That's pretty good deliver time if you ask me. I checked it out and it's got everything I ordered.

The one problem I'm having is getting used to looking at a 40" monitor. Big change from a 17". I'll let you all know how it works after I get a chance to try it out. Probably a couple weeks.

I want to convey a big thankyou to those who offered advice---even the MAC guys.

Just to put an end to this I thougt I'd let everybody know I got my new Dell puter today. 4 business days since I placed the order. That's pretty good deliver time if you ask me. I checked it out and it's got everything I ordered.

The one problem I'm having is getting used to looking at a 40" monitor. Big change from a 17". I'll let you all know how it works after I get a chance to try it out. Probably a couple weeks.

I want to convey a big thankyou to those who offered advice---even the MAC guys.

Cheers. Please let us know how you get on! Curious to know how your new 40" LCD combo. will work. I couldn't get my HP / XP pro to effectively mirror, or get full screen rez on the Samsung.

X

Cheers. Please let us know how you get on! Curious to know how your new 40" LCD combo. will work. I couldn't get my HP / XP pro to effectively mirror, or get full screen rez on the Samsung.

X

Yeah me too. Won't let me have resolution less than 1020X768. This makes all the fonts too small for me to read effectively. 800X600 is good, but won't let me stay there---bummer. I guess I can work with it, but my idea was to use the same screen to edit as I would be looking at with the final DVD. I figured maybe less color diversion and such. We'll see.

I can't so anything right now as my son has my camcorder so I can't even do any capturing at the moment. I want to do a total makeover of my Curacao and Bonaire trips from Jan and March, respectively.

You want 800x600 on a 40" monitor? :confused:

Mr. Magoo, is that you?

MIN res on any modern computer should be 1024x768. Min.

More realistic min should be 1280x1024, especially on the larger monitors... like 22" Let alone 40". (adjust for widescreen numbers as needed, I can't recall offhand)

40" should be 1920x1080 at a minimum, to match HD spec.

compudude,

Remeber that his 40" TV might be 720p, which means it's max res would be 1280x720. Going to 600 would not be that much of a departure.

I agree with you about the specs for a computer monitor, but we tend to sit quite close to those compared to the viewing distance for a television.

Back
Top Bottom