Computers for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a DM but I'm curious how DM's normally do it. Certainly they have to be up against lockouts often, I don't think I've ever seen a shearwater on the arm of a working DM.

I am a working DM and use a Perdix as my PDC. They are becoming more and more popular among divers.

This thread brings up several interesting topics, including choice of a decompression algorithm by a DM (conservative to liberal), and whether the computer locks out after a decompression stop violation.

It seems reasonably obvious that a DM might not want to dive a very conservative computer. However, DMs generally swim a relatively conservative route that keeps everyone, including themselves, easily out of deco. In addition, the guided part of the dive often ends short of the run time limit and the divers are left somewhere near the boat to finish their dives independently. I have seen DMs dive many brands of computer, including Suunto on numerous occasions. Though it may have occurred, it has never been obvious to me that a DM's computer controlled the dive the group was doing. Perhaps this was taken care of by an adjustment in the depth of the dive? On several occasions, I have seen divers signal to the DM that they were short on NDL time. I have always dived an Oceanic computer running DSAT. With a group, I generally have come nowhere near deco. Of course, diving a more liberal computer allows the DM more flexibility for dealing with unexpected events without running the risk of putting them into deco, where they would either have to satisfy the obligation or have a deco violation.

Not many computers do not lock you out after a deco violation. My Oceanic computers would certainly lock me out, even my Nitek Q backup would lock me out. Other than the Shearwaters, I'm not aware of other computers that would not lock you out for a deco violation, though I would imagine that some of the other tech computers might fit the bill. If I was diving a liberal algorithm like DSAT, or an equivalent setting with Buhlmann and GFs, and had a deco violation, I would almost certainly not continue to dive normally with out interruption, whether I had lock out or not.

If I were a DM, being the cautious person I am, I would probably dive two computers. One would be a relatively conservative, to remind me where some of my charges might be. The other would be considerably more liberal, to give me a good idea of my own deco limits, in case I needed the flexibility.

Stuartv cheers for that the Oceanic Geo 2 has some good features definitely going to look into this more

Stuartv cheers for that the Oceanic Geo 2 has some good features definitely going to look into this more

I have owned a Geo 2.0 before and they are very good computers. There is a conservative mode change you can make as well. My only small complaint was that the backlight was not very bright for night dives.

If I were a DM, being the cautious person I am, I would probably dive two computers. One would be a relatively conservative, to remind me where some of my charges might be. The other would be considerably more liberal, to give me a good idea of my own deco limits, in case I needed the flexibility.

This.

If the DM is going to be nannying about deco I think the DM ought to have a clue about when that might happen.

I couldn't swear to this but I think I had one with different computers in the morning and afternoon...

I currently dive an atom 3.1. Pretty much the same as the geo but with ai. I love it

When I'm guiding , part of my brief is for them to signal to me when they get to 10mins of NDL. I wore my Eon alongside a Leonardo and a Zoop on a few dives and figured out what settings I needed to get close to those of the customers.

However being the "trusting" person I am, I make sure I have ramped down my conservitism so that from watching my computer I'm pretty close to where they are and can alter the dive profile to suit.

I have a few regulars that have Perdix, and then I move to more aggressive to keep them down as long as we can.

So as to advice for a DM, get something that works for you and has some flexibility. Often people wear computers but have no idea what it's telling them (especially with NDL) If you're on a very liberal setting/algorithm - it's easy to put your clients into deco if you're not paying attention

This.

If the DM is going to be nannying about deco I think the DM ought to have a clue about when that might happen.

I couldn't swear to this but I think I had one with different computers in the morning and afternoon...
And that, if true, is downright dangerous as they have absolutely no idea about their true nitrogen loading etc.

When doing afternoon dives in warm places what do you think the guides were doing in the morning?

You still want your full experience etc...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom