Computers for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to suggest the EMC-20H or EMC-16 from Cochran Undersea Technology as a great 'first computer'. I am also a DM and I've used my EMC-20H with classes and checkout dives with no problems at all (500+ dives). It will NEVER lock you out due to ascent rate violations or 'breaking' a decompression ceiling. It also has one of the most liberal algorithms in the industry. Good luck with your search and have a great career as a DM !!

I would like to suggest the EMC-20H or EMC-16 from Cochran Undersea Technology as a great 'first computer'. I am also a DM and I've used my EMC-20H with classes and checkout dives with no problems at all (500+ dives). It will NEVER lock you out due to ascent rate violations or 'breaking' a decompression ceiling. It also has one of the most liberal algorithms in the industry. Good luck with your search and have a great career as a DM !!
Hi @Jeff Loudan

Being an older diver, I'm very familiar with Cochran computers. I dived an EMC-14 as backup to my Oceanic computers from 2006-2011. One of the few computers as liberal, actually, slightly more liberal, than DSAT. I still have the computer, it works beautifully, and I dive it occasionally, just for fun. I simply got tired of licking my fingers and using a quarter to to access and set it up. The EMC-16 is a nice, simple, 2 gas, nitrox computer for just $400, a much lower price than in the old days.

For transparency, you should probably disclose that you are a software engineer for Cochran. Your location in Richardson, TX, was the clue for me.

Good diving, Craig

Hi @Jeff Loudan

Being an older diver, I'm very familiar with Cochran computers. I dived an EMC-14 as backup to my Oceanic computers from 2006-2011. One of the few computers as liberal, actually, slightly more liberal, than DSAT. I still have the computer, it works beautifully, and I dive it occasionally, just for fun. I simply got tired of licking my fingers and using a quarter to to access and set it up. The EMC-16 is a nice, simple, 2 gas, nitrox computer for just $400, a much lower price than in the old days.

For transparency, you should probably disclose that you are a software engineer for Cochran. Your location in Richardson, TX, was the clue for me.

Good diving, Craig

Thanks for being a valued Cochran user. I wasn't trying to hide the fact that I help build Cochran computers, it just didn't seem relevant to the conversation at the time. I agree that the EMC-16 is an great choice for a first dive computer. However, Rob'o stated that he was beginning his internship as a DM and might possibly get into technical diving. The EMC-20H dive computer is only $600 (which includes uploading software) and provides up to three gasses of tri-mix, if necessary.

Hi @Jeff Loudan

I read that @Rob'o was looking at buying his 1st computer and was starting DM training. I didn't see anything about technical diving. He was looking at 2 Mares models.

In general, I think it best to declare possible conflicts of interest, like recommending computers made by the company you work for. It avoids having others bring up the topic :)

Good diving, Craig

Hi @Jeff Loudan

I read that @Rob'o was looking at buying his 1st computer and was starting DM training. I didn't see anything about technical diving. He was looking at 2 Mares models.

In general, I think it best to declare possible conflicts of interest, like recommending computers made by the company you work for. It avoids having others bring up the topic :)

Good diving, Craig

My apologies if I mispoke...I saw a comment about technical diving and inadvertently attributed it to the initiator of this thread...Not sure how recommending a product that you manufacturer constitutes a conflict of interest, though...Have a great weekend and safe diving to all !!

My apologies if I mispoke...I saw a comment about technical diving and inadvertently attributed it to the initiator of this thread...Not sure how recommending a product that you manufacturer constitutes a conflict of interest, though...Have a great weekend and safe diving to all !!
Hi Jeff, personal message sent

..Not sure how recommending a product that you manufacturer constitutes a conflict of interest

Wow! Are you for real? Could you honestly write anything negative about Cochran without risking your job? The fact that you're being paid by Cochran immediately colors anything that you write or say about them. I find it diificult to imagine that you seriously think that an employee could write a critique of a product on which they are an integral part of the development team without making some kind of honest disclosure.

I OTOH, can honestly say that I loved my 16 but hated that dratted quarter that had to travel everywhere that my computer did. So much so that I finally gave up and bought a Shearwater. Full disclosue: I work for no DC company.

Like I said guys all recommendations are welcome here I'm completely new to PDC's so all comments are relevant to me. The EMC-20H looks a good bit of kit but is a little out of my price range right now and although I will mor the likely need a tech PDC in the future I think I'll be staying well within in the realm of recreational and need to familiarise with basic PDC's for now.... Cheers

Not sure how recommending a product that you manufacturer constitutes a conflict of interest, though...
Really??? You don't see a conflict of interest in recommending a product when you don't disclose that you work for the manufacturer of that product? Amazing...

Jeff,are the newer computers using the same algorithms as the older ones.Or are there tweaks to add conservatism for multi day,multi dive, short SI,bounces etc???
I have a collection of BTs EDGEs and Skinny Dippers but at some point would like to get a computer that allows tri mix and stupidly liberal diving.

Back
Top Bottom