Computers with Diver-Replaceable Battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Suunto Mosquito and I love the fact that I can change my own battery. It's a great little computer that does AIR and Nitrox.

I have an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with user replaceable batteries. It was a feature I specifically looked for (per scubaboard suggestions) when I was making my first computer purchase.

I wouldn't own a computer without user replaceable batteries. It's much cheaper and quicker to do it yourself. The only downside is you run the risk of effing it up and flooding your computer but that's fairly easy to avoid if you are careful. Even if you don't want to do it yourself, user replaceable batteries would allow a dive shop tech to do it for you in a few minutes.

Mares Airlab/Darwin Air/ M2

User replaceable AAAs-find 'em anywhere, cheap, extremely easy no-tool replacement.
I use re-chargeables. A fresh set easily lasts a thirty-dive trip, even with the backlight on all the time, which is a nice feature. Then I put them back in the TV remote when I get home ;-)

I have one of each: an UWATEC SmartTec, and an UWATEC Galileo. The SmartTec has a factory replaced battery, which is free, but takes several weeks.

I bought the Galileo, user replaced batteries, because my SmartTec was going to be gone for replacement batteries while I was off to the South Pacific. Very simple process: lightly lube o-ring and away you go.

Stay away from the factory replacement computers, even if they are free from UWATEC.

Cheers,

Dan

I have a Suunto Mosquito, now on it's 4th battery that I've replaced.
Suunto strongly suggests replacing the cover along with the battery, total cost about $15.00. I once replaced the battery, reusing the old cover & o-ring, but this is a risky process since the o-ring gets a flat spot over time & a slight twist would cause leakage.
Long story short, as far as I know most Suunto batteries are user replaceable, & though they may scare you out of it, it's really a easy job if you're careful. fb

Now the Mosquito is no longer in production none of the wrist watch suuntos have user replacable batteries. The larger wrist console sized suuntos ege gekko, Vyper etc have user replacable batteries.

I have a Mosquito, well did until it died, always changed the battery myself together with a new O ring and never had a leak problem, as long as you check that the O ring is ok or better still replace it with each battery it should be no problem at all, just follow the manafacturers instructions.:wink:

Most of the newer computers have user replaceable batteries and are much cheaper to replace than sending back to the factory. But with that being said the Suunto, Citizens, Seiko etc watch company's have always had to send them back for batteries and pressure test. I think it depends if you are looking for a dive computer or a watch that is also a dive computer. Most good looking watches (computer or not ) need to go back for a battery and will cost more but are much nicer looking to where around as a watch. Good luck with your decision.

Ok, here is what I am presently going through.
I own a Mares Nemo Titanium and face this same delema. With this computer not only are you provided with the instructions (with diagrams) on how to change the battery in the manual, but they even include a spare gasket. Though the instructions clearly states that the battery should only be changed by a Mares service center, but why would they have the instructions with the gasket? Do they expect me to ship the gasket along with the instructions to the Mares service center?

I managed to squeeze 70+ dives out of the first battery, but when it finally died, I decided to take it to a local reputable & experienced watch store since I live in Jamaica and there are no Mares dealers here. Of course though a simple procedure, as Murphy would have it, it started malfuntioning, showing 492ft in the store. After removing the battery a few times, it eventually started behaving 'normally'. Unfortunately on the first couple of dives, it malfuntioned again.
After a couple of calls to Mares US, I shipped it off to Mares Warrantee. They called me back a few days later to say the they have no idea what is wrong with it & that it will have to be shipped off to Italy. I am now awaiting word from them as to how much this will cost me, but I have to say, I am very disappointed. Surely it is reasonable to expect more that one battery life from the computer?

I am now presently shopping around for a 'battery user replaceable' wrist computer.

Anyone here know how to open an old Suunto ML in order to replace the battery? Suunto will no longer service it and I refuse to spend $400 on a new one when all it needs is a $1.00 battery!

Back
Top Bottom