Conch shells

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
4 days to Cozumel. It's been 18 years since I've been on the island. Question about collecting shells. Back then, as today, you could not pick up shells in the water while diving or snorkeling and bring them home. However, an attendent at San Fransico beach who stopped me from doing that while snorkeling, told me I could go down the beach to an undeveloped area. If I found conch shells on the beach I could pick them up and take the home. Has this changed?

waynel:
4 days to Cozumel. It's been 18 years since I've been on the island. Question about collecting shells. Back then, as today, you could not pick up shells in the water while diving or snorkeling and bring them home. However, an attendent at San Fransico beach who stopped me from doing that while snorkeling, told me I could go down the beach to an undeveloped area. If I found conch shells on the beach I could pick them up and take the home. Has this changed?

Of course, Christi would have the definitive word on this, but my impression is that you may not remove anything natural (feel free to pick up all the beer cans, etc. you want) from underwater anywhere in the Marine Park, which is basically the entire southwest quarter of the island.

Gordo. Mon cher, I know you can't take anything from underwater. My question was...can you take a conch shell off the BEACH, on land, and bring it home. I did that 18 years ago, No problem then. Is it a problem now? Of course, being a real Cajun, I'd prefer to have a conch in the shell. Conch gumbo? Wha' choo tank?

waynel:
Gordo. Mon cher, I know you can't take anything from underwater. My question was...can you take a conch shell off the BEACH, on land, and bring it home. I did that 18 years ago, No problem then. Is it a problem now? Of course, being a real Cajun, I'd prefer to have a conch in the shell. Conch gumbo? Wha' choo tank?

Do people do it? Sure.

Is it right? Absolutely not.

If it is the beach area within the protected park boundaries...it counts as the marine park and is prohibited.

Regardless of whether you are within the marine park or not, please leave the natural environment as you find it. We all appreciate it.

It's typically considered very disrespectful to take part of the natural environment anywhere you go...not just from Cozumel.

Actually even if it is okay to take it from the beach, I not sure if US Customs will allow you to bring it back. I know that one of the questions on the customs form asks if you have any sand or shells.

waynel:

Well, if dere was conches in de bayou, den dere would be conch gumbo, I garuntee! Show me sumpin' a coonass won' eat!

Getting close now, eh? Wish I was going with you!

OK. Don't want to offend anyone and don't want problems with US Customs. Thanks.

Christi:
If it is the beach area within the protected park boundaries...it counts as the marine park and is prohibited.

Regardless of whether you are within the marine park or not, please leave the natural environment as you find it. We all appreciate it.

It's typically considered very disrespectful to take part of the natural environment anywhere you go...not just from Cozumel.

I agree in leaving the "natural environment" the way it was. But conch shells are a little different. 99.9% of the conch shells you find also have a little hole in them made (by a fisherman) to disconnect the conch from his shell, meaning someone else in your marine park is doing far more damage than the one who picks up the "rubbish", which is the leftover shell. I routinely find piles of conch shells here. Leave them all? That's a tough call because it's not natural anymore, although they do make nice little houses for crabs.

Jinjer:
Actually even if it is okay to take it from the beach, I not sure if US Customs will allow you to bring it back. I know that one of the questions on the customs form asks if you have any sand or shells.

I must have missed this question on the form I filled out in January.

Hank49:
I agree in leaving the "natural environment" the way it was. But conch shells are a little different. 99.9% of the conch shells you find also have a little hole in them made (by a fisherman) to disconnect the conch from his shell, meaning someone else in your marine park is doing far more damage than the one who picks up the "rubbish", which is the leftover shell. I routinely find piles of conch shells here. Leave them all? That's a tough call because it's not natural anymore, although they do make nice little houses for crabs.

Two wrongs don't make a right though...do they?

Back
Top Bottom