CONDEMNED/CONFISCATED- liner in steel 72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was it the LDS or the hydro facility that condemned that tank? An LDS cannot condemn a tank for failing a vip because there is no legal requirement for an annual visual inspection in the first place. A hydro facility, however, is required to inspect the tank before testing, and the tank can be condemned, but it is still your tank. I would file a police report.

PhilEllis:
I have said this before and I will say it again......I have seen monkeys in the zoo, monkeys on the street corner, but I have never seen a monkey filling or hydroing cylinders.

Phil Ellis

I'd pay money to see that, as long as I didn't have to dive the tank the monkey filled.

I don't believe a police report is the proper approach. This is a civil matter and the cops won't touch it. Hope it works out.

james croft:
I don't believe a police report is the proper approach. This is a civil matter and the cops won't touch it. Hope it works out.

It doesn't hurt to try, a sympathetic cop may make a call to the LDS. It seems to me to be more of a fraud case than one of theft and more of a small claims issue. The question is what is the value of the tank? The LDS may claim it is only worth $40 while to the OP it is priceless. The OP would need to prove its worth.

O.K.

All's well that ends well.

I got the tank and it was already hydroed and good to go. Lots of confusion and misunderstanding, both on my part and theirs.

Today, I made a surprise visit to the hydotester's shop so I could help him search through his scrap pile for my tank, or come to some other agreement. He wasn't there, but his wife called him and he gave her the go-ahead to let me take a look-see. No go. Not a sight of my tank anywhere. I was starting to lose all hope of getting my tank back, thinking I'd have to next find out where he sends his scrap! The only glimmer of hope I had was that he had previously told me over the phone that the yellow paint on my tank was blistered. My tank was galvanized.

So, off to surprise visit number 2- the dive shop. I really didn't expect to get anything there but the original Voit J-valve which was on my tank when I took it in. We found the valve; Then, for kicks, I looked around for my tank, and there it was lying on the floor (no boot- remember?). The employee said, "These came in yesterday. (Then rolled the tank over) Yep. 3/07. All hydroed and ready to go." COOL!

We installed the valve, tightened the bonnet nut to stop a leak, paid the bill, and I was out the door with my newly hydroed (with +10% overfill stamp) vintage cylinder.

Huh?.....What's that?......What about the lining?!........Well...that was some of the confusion for which I was responsible. It turns out that the tank had no lining. I was under the impression that it was lined, but I guess it wasn't. So, when I dropped the cylinder off in January requesting that the liner be tumbled out, I was starting the confusion. Then, each time I called and described my tank as the one having the liner tumbled out, the hydro guy was confusing it with another, yellow painted, tank which he condemned and scrapped, I guess. Of course, it might have helped just a little if the shop employee could have written the cylinder's serial number on the paperwork! (See? The confusion was a group effort ;-))

Anyhow, I'm glad it is NOT lined, and I won't have to worry/deal with this in the future. But, "THANKYOU" to all who helped me on this. The CGA C-6 wording was a real eye opener, and I (and I'm sure many others) learned a lot from the posts. The information given will be used by someone down the road, I'm certain.

I also learned to never bother taking a 1/2" valved, lined tank to this hydro facility. He said that a 3/4" valve wouldn't be a problem, though. And kudos to him for being a rare bird who actually takes the time to do the +10% overfill calculations on these old "relics" at hydro. He's the only one I've heard of who still does that. Most people are under the mistaken notion that a cylinder cannot be re-plused after the first hydro, or that they cannot be plus rated if the REE number isn't stamped on the tank. So tell your hydro guys they're wrong! I always get a sideways glance when I take my 72s into a new shop for fills; They think I stamped the '+' in with a chisel. But I....I KNOW IT'S THE REAL DEAL, so I don't care what they think. "Fill 'er to 2475, please!"

154_5483.jpg

154_5485.jpg

Glad you hung in there and found that tank. It is a nice looking one. They are getting harder to find in that condition,

Could you find out what number he uses for the REE and post it or PM me with it.

^ The same for me, please. :D
I'm assuming it would be the same for PST steel 72s from the early 1970s since they're the same size tank with the only difference being the neck threading? Or am I totally wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom