Conditions at FRP - May 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUEdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Conditions at Falling Rock / Joe's on Saturday, May 12:
Surface temperatures: low to mid 60s
Thermocline @ 12' - below it, temperatures in the 50s
Visibility is almost 20' - improved from 3 weeks ago. Vis at worst is about seven feet around a depth of 35-40'.
Algae is prominent in the shallows, but not really obscuring visibility if you don't kick it up.

I dove yesterday at the Laurel Lake Dam and temps were pretty much the same. The vis on the other hand was pretty bad. 1'-2' above the thermocline and maybe 3'-5' below it. Looking forward to getting back to Joe's, hopefully the vis will keep improving or at least stay the same.

jpsexton:
I dove yesterday at the Laurel Lake Dam and temps were pretty much the same. The vis on the other hand was pretty bad. 1'-2' above the thermocline and maybe 3'-5' below it. .

Just out of curiosity, that is a typical vis at the Larel Lake Dam?

hoosier:
Just out of curiosity, that is a typical vis at the Larel Lake Dam?

I've seen it as good as 20' or so and always at least 10'. The water level yesterday was pretty high as well. I'd guess that had something to do with the poor vis.

John did you notice if they were generating? Before they start bringing the water down it gets a lil cloudy with boat traffic. I gotta take you out to Fred's Rock and show you the boat LDH sank :)

bag_one:
John did you notice if they were generating? Before they start bringing the water down it gets a lil cloudy with boat traffic.

I didn't notice. Would you be able to hear it?

jpsexton:
I didn't notice. Would you be able to hear it?
Not without waling over to that side of the dam, but with the water that high no way they were...Untill they start pulling the scummy water out the vis wil be low at the dam. But great for the fish (as you said) think spear gun and dont forget the fishing Lic. lol probly still sell um at the market :)
ps. will let you know about this weekend by thursday
found the site for laural info
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/lakeinfo/lau.htm

Conditions at Falling Rock / Joe's on Saturday, May 19th-20th:
Surface temperatures: low to mid 60s
Thermocline @ 12' - below it, temperatures in the 50s
Visibility around 15'-20' in places 10' and less in others.
Not much change since GUEdiver reported. Temps may have warmed just a tad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom