Trip Report Thailand - Phinisi Live Aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm heading for Thailand any day now. I'll be doing day dive trips instead of from a liveaboard. I very much hope that I don't regret going there instead of back to Bali.

I dived Similan in December 1988/January 1989 and obtained my AOW there on 1st Jan 89. My recollection is that there were very few pelagics there. Since the Similan National Park was created in 1982, there should have been no fishing there since that date. I was wondering if shark numbers had increased due to the creation of the Similan National Park, but it does not appear to have done so according to your report.

The other thing to note is that I dived Similan at the beginning of 1989 when there were no outbound tourists from mainland China. China's outbound tourism began in 1990, when China signed bilateral tourism agreements with Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Therefore I seriously doubt that the low shark numbers in that part of Thailand has anything to do with soup for Chinese tourists.
You don't know Thailand very well...what do you think goes on at all the Thai national marine parks during their 4-5 month annual closures (for acceptable backhanders). You don't actually believe the corrupt national park officials when they put out press releases saying the closures are to allow the corals and fish populations to recover now do you 😜😜😜

As for those earlier sharks, they were all consumed by the rich Sino-Thais in Bangkok who have been there over 100 years 😭😭😭

Well, I'm heading for Thailand any day now. I'll be doing day dive trips instead of from a liveaboard. I very much hope that I don't regret going there instead of back to Bali.
I live in Phuket and am heading to Bali in a week...that should tell you something 😉

You don't know Thailand very well...what do you think goes on at all the Thai national marine parks during their 4-5 month annual closures (for acceptable backhanders). You don't actually believe the corrupt national park officials when they put out press releases saying the closures are to allow the corals and fish populations to recover now do you 😜😜😜

As for those earlier sharks, they were all consumed by the rich Sino-Thais in Bangkok who have been there over 100 years 😭😭😭
I have no interest in acquainting myself with Thai corrupt practices. The Thai royal family has Chinese ancestry, but I think of them as 100% Thai. Likewise I consider every other Thai national with Chinese ancestry as Thai.

WildAid issued a report titled 'Shark Fin Demand In Thailand 2017', which is quite interesting. One of the things it said was, "Media reports estimate that there has been a 50 to 70% decrease in shark fin consumption in China since 2011. In October 2016, China’s CITES management authority announced that shark fin consumption in China had fallen by more than 80% since 2011."
Source: Shark Fin Demand In Thailand 2017.pdf

China's consumption of sharks is just one facet of a multifaceted issue. Just slagging China is not the solution to the issue. Many countries consume shark meat. Furthermore, shark meat is used in cat and dog food.
Source: Endangered sharks found in cat and dog food, DNA study shows

I do not think you know the Kingdom very well either!!
Blaming the chinese tourists for decimating the shark population!!!! LOL. How long have they been coming?

I hope you are not staying in Phuket because that would be waste of money/time on day trip.
You are better off staying in Koh Lanta, Lipe or even Phi Phi.

I live in Phuket and am heading to Bali in a week...that should tell you something 😉
Because diving out from Phuket is waste of money/time.

I hope you are not staying in Phuket because that would be waste of money/time on day trip.
You are better off staying in Koh Lanta, Lipe or even Phi Phi.

Because diving out from Phuket is waste of money/time.

I'm not going after all. Smoke too ugly.
I had planned on khoa Lak but wasn't married to that idea either. Koh Lanta was in mind.

I'm going back to Bali and have fingers crossed for a week at Wakatobi. Not sure that part is going to work out though.

Back
Top Bottom