Conditions Changed Fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaduced

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While diving in San Carlos, MX, last weekend, got a demonstration of just how fast conditions can change. The water was 85F and viz 40 ft or so. There were four of us in two loose buddy pairs. With the good viz, we had about 15 ft separation between divers. I was in the lead, as we worked down a rocky ridge that went into deep water.

After taking a picture, I noticed I could no longer see the bottom in front of me and a fairly strong current had picked up. Moments later, viz in all directions dropped to 3 ft and the water temp dropped several degrees. I looked over my shoulder and could no longer see the three other divers. I dropped to the bottom, turned around and worked my way back up the ridge. To my relief, the other divers converged on the center point of the group as I arrived. We decided to head back to the area of the boat because of the current and finish the dive there.

Fortunately, I always take a compass bearing before I leave the boat or beach entry point, so we headed out (much closer together) on the reciprocal heading. After a 150 ft or so, we moved back into the warmer, clearer water and the current dropped off. We finished the dive in the area of the boat. After getting back on the boat we all said, WOW!, that was fast!

What went right?
Before the "green out," at 65 fsw you couldn't really see the sun, but you could use the bright spot overhead for navigation. After the green out, there was no discernible spot. My habit of taking a compass shot before entering the water paid off.

All the divers remained calm and immediately moved to reassemble the group. Such a significant change in viz has never happened to me before, so it wasn't part of our dive brief. It will be in the future.

What could have been done better?
It was a "new to us," dive spot. Whale sharks have been spotted in the area for several weeks, so we were eager to try our luck. The boat brief mentioned strong currents beyond the point that formed the little cove. I'm not sure about the other divers, but I had no knowledge of the tidal patterns or currents in the area. I should have asked questions or at least Googled the tide times.

While the situation wasn't particularly dangerous, it was a clear demonstration of how fast that can change. It's one more clue for the clue box.

No joy on the Whale Shark. :shakehead: We did see a Finback whale on the ride back to the dock, though. :cool3:

Good dives,
Darell

Good reminder; thanks.
Rick

You and your dive buddies handled this situation well. It is a good object lesson for other divers. Thanks for sharing your story.

While diving in San Carlos, MX, last weekend, got a demonstration of just how fast conditions can change. The water was 85F and viz 40 ft or so. There were four of us in two loose buddy pairs. With the good viz, we had about 15 ft separation between divers. I was in the lead, as we worked down a rocky ridge that went into deep water.

After taking a picture, I noticed I could no longer see the bottom in front of me and a fairly strong current had picked up. Moments later, viz in all directions dropped to 3 ft and the water temp dropped several degrees. I looked over my shoulder and could no longer see the three other divers. I dropped to the bottom, turned around and worked my way back up the ridge. To my relief, the other divers converged on the center point of the group as I arrived. We decided to head back to the area of the boat because of the current and finish the dive there.

Fortunately, I always take a compass bearing before I leave the boat or beach entry point, so we headed out (much closer together) on the reciprocal heading. After a 150 ft or so, we moved back into the warmer, clearer water and the current dropped off. We finished the dive in the area of the boat. After getting back on the boat we all said, WOW!, that was fast!

What went right?
Before the "green out," at 65 fsw you couldn't really see the sun, but you could use the bright spot overhead for navigation. After the green out, there was no discernible spot. My habit of taking a compass shot before entering the water paid off.

All the divers remained calm and immediately moved to reassemble the group. Such a significant change in viz has never happened to me before, so it wasn't part of our dive brief. It will be in the future.

What could have been done better?
It was a "new to us," dive spot. Whale sharks have been spotted in the area for several weeks, so we were eager to try our luck. The boat brief mentioned strong currents beyond the point that formed the little cove. I'm not sure about the other divers, but I had no knowledge of the tidal patterns or currents in the area. I should have asked questions or at least Googled the tide times.

While the situation wasn't particularly dangerous, it was a clear demonstration of how fast that can change. It's one more clue for the clue box.

No joy on the Whale Shark. :shakehead: We did see a Finback whale on the ride back to the dock, though. :cool3:

Good dives,
Darell

Thanks for reminding us on just how fast a good dive can turn into a "now what?" dive. Good buddys, good dive plan and a cool head are a huge asset when things happen fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom