Conditions for weekend of 27th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are thinking of heading down to Monterey on Friday. But given the way the wave forecasts are shaping up for Friday I am having second thoughts. Does anyone have an opinion about how things would be given the forecast?

So far the wave model through Friday doesn't look as scary as it did last weekend, though there is a swell coming through in the next day or so. I'm hoping to get in some dives this weekend, but probably on the North Coast.

we will have to wait for another day to meet then.

.FRI...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
NW SWELL 8 TO 11 FT.
.SAT...SE WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT.
.SUN...NE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.
NW SWELL 5 TO 7 FT.

Friday's over my maximums, but Sat. (esp. if you run on the late side, in this case I read the
forecast as "8 ft going down to 6 ft") and Sunday are OK. As always, inspect site with Mk 1
eyeball prior to getting gear out of the truck.

Thanks Chuck. It is a bit too far for me to drive to sightsee so I might just garden instead.

Thanks Chuck. It is a bit too far for me to drive to sightsee so I might just garden instead.

That's cool. I never make up my mind until the 3pm forecast comes out on Friday, and
I still reserve the right to NO GO after that.

Anybody have an average on when Viz gets back to normal after a bad weekend in Monterey (similar to last weekend) or do to many factors come into play for a ballpark estimate? I second that, its too far to drive to sightsee statement :D

My buddy and I are planning to dive on Sunday, we dove 2 weeks ago Sunday and had a great time. Last week was devastating to anyone that was diving and a lot of classes were canceled it was brutal, so I heard.

I saw Chucks figures for this weekend, and Sunday being bearable should place me in the water with my dive buddy, we are beginners with only 8 dives on us.

We got a lot of new equipment since our last dive and are eager to use it. So Chuck how does Sunday really look, our dives will be at Break Water...

Thanks,

MG

Anybody have an average on when Viz gets back to normal after a bad weekend in Monterey (similar to last weekend) or do to many factors come into play for a ballpark estimate? I second that, its too far to drive to sightsee statement :D

Totally unpredictable. Vis Saturday morning on Ballbuster was 50'+ but vis the same morning on the Anchors 2&3 was 10'.

The Sunday forecast of NW 5-7' was fair to middling. And it's better today:

.SAT...NE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.
NW SWELL 4 TO 6 FT AND S 2 FT.
.SUN...N WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.
NW SWELL 2 TO 4 FT AND S 2 FT.

You won't see the S swell at the Breakwater at all. 2 to 4 feet is quite flat, if it holds. Saturday
afternoon the buoy was reporting 12+ feet. Energy content goes up as the cube of the
height, sorta, so 12' has 27x more energy than 4'.

There are many factors affecting vis (sunlight, jellies, surge, upwelling, nearby students and
newbs, ...) so it's hard to predict. The most you can say is "it might be about like yesterday".

Back
Top Bottom