p-valve hose routing and undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To better answer the question...

My Seaskin undergarment has a zip on the top and bottom. I fully zip up and then raise the lower zipper enough to connect. I then route the hose up into my undergarment with my unit pointing up. Then I zip back down and call it a day, ready to go. I pre-dive pee, while standing away from the gear up area, to make sure everything is correct before I don my rig most of the time. No unusual pressure means I'm good to go.

For my DUI undergarment it has the same double zip setup. Run the bottom zipper up, hose goes in and routed down leg then looped back up. The tree hangs out the fly of my base layer with the bushes still inside. Haven’t run into any restriction problems with this configuration and it’s comfortable.

For my fleece sweatpants I had a button hole sewn in the inseam that I can route the hose through, creating the same loop and setup between the pants and base layer. Trying to bring the hose up and over the waistband led to pulling down on the waistband that wasn’t as comfortable.

For my fleece sweatpants I had a button hole sewn in the inseam that I can route the hose through, creating the same loop and setup between the pants and base layer. Trying to bring the hose up and over the waistband led to pulling down on the waistband that wasn’t as comfortable.
I'm thinking about getting a hole sewn in my Arctics... possible you have a photo of exactly where you had it sewn so I have something to go off of?

Ok, so QD or no, any tips for how to deal with things at the end of the day? Should I expect I'll just end up with some dribbled pee everywhere? Or does the hose actually empty and fill with air once on dry land?
A drop or two. I disconnect and let it dribble, I don't care about a couple drips.
I'm thinking about getting a hole sewn in my Arctics... possible you have a photo of exactly where you had it sewn so I have something to go off of?
Do yourself a favor and go read this thread. It answers all of your questions.

Do yourself a favor and go read this thread. It answers all of your questions.
You're right, and I have, but there's also a lot of competing opinions in it, and it's long. Maybe I should try to summarize it into an FAQ at some point (after I have my own experience).

You're right, and I have, but there's also a lot of competing opinions in it, and it's long. Maybe I should try to summarize it into an FAQ at some point (after I have my own experience).
Worth the read though. There are a few camps and it comes down to QD vs no QD and wideband vs not wideband.

QD is simple, reliable, and a secondary seal in case your one way valve fails and you're not connected.

Wideband gives way more glue area for your member and offers more reliable sealing for prolonged wearing.

Make sure your shaft is clean and you'll be fine. Hair removal makes cath removal less intense. I remove the QD and then pull the cath off with no issues, just go slow and let the adhesive release.

Approximate routing here. The hose goes into my undergarment before looping down. Mine have a hole for it on the leg but I find the zipper is easiest.

20231229_100050.jpg

Wideband gives way more glue area for your member and offers more reliable sealing for prolonged wearing.
I ended up with Conveen Optima PSX Silicone--is the difference big enough to get the widebands?

Thanks for the diagram, that is really helpful!

I ended up with Conveen Optima PSX Silicone--is the difference big enough to get the widebands?

Thanks for the diagram, that is really helpful!
Try each option but start with the QD, youll likely stop the experiment there. I use wide band, for me it’s the best choice but others also work so use what you have and then try others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom