P-Valve Installation in Drysuit: Overview of techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, with GUE Fundies next week, it's time to add major new gear to my configuration. Sounds smart, right? (About as smart as buying brand new shoes right before a marathon...)

My instructor recommended for best use of class time that I either have a P-valve or a diaper. I decided for the P-valve. But now, it's time to install it.

After lots of research, I distilled down the options. I'm going to compile them here for reference for others. Please feel free to add to this or discuss.

Position

First, where to put the valve. The general consenus is halfway between knee and groin, at a 45 degree angle between front and side. If you were to think of a horizontal cross section through your thigh, looking down with 12 o'clock facing dead forward, that's 1:30. The goal is so that it won't catch anything along your body when you're in proper trim going through a wreck or cave, and won't get touched when you bring your thighs together.

For me, I had to adjust the position a bit higher because my suit (DUI CLX450) had a seam right near where I wanted it... Maybe 1.5" higher, so it's closer to about 2/3 from my knee to my groin.

Properly marking this was something that came up in particular a fair number of times, with implications that maybe this sometimes ended up with valves *not* where they were supposed to go. For me, I put the suit on up to my waist and took a small piece of painter's tape (the blue masking tape) and stuck it where I wanted the valve. Then I took the suit off and looked and felt around carefully on the other side to make sure there wasn't any hidden issues. Seeing as I had already moved away from the seam as described above, I was good to go. (In the end, I was happy with the position, but it didn't end up *exactly* where I thought it would. It doesn't help that mine's a bit snug so there's a lot less slack to shift things around. My suggestion: don't be lazy: put the suit all the way on.)

Making a Hole

Now, time for a hole in the suit. For making the hole, there are two common methods. The most common is scissors or razor blade/x-acto knife. The smarter way seems to be a hollow punch. The problem for me is that I don't *have* a hollow punch. They're not particularly cheap, especially at the size I'd need. If I were a dive shop, sure, but for just one hole...

An aside: one SB post I saw recommended a copper pipe fitting, filed to a sharp edge, used as a punch. I was *real* excited by that idea. The problem I had was that the Light Monkey Tinkle valve needs a hole a shade larger than 15/16". A 3/4" female copper pipe fitting (the bigger part of the fitting) is way too small. A 1" female copper pipe fitting (which is what I bought to try) is really too big (though it *might* barely work). A 1" *male* copper pipe fitting is still too big according to my research online: it's still a little over 1" OD. It'll *probably* work, but there's not much margin.

I couldn't find anything else with an outer diameter of 1" that could be sharpened for a punch. All of the 1" *nominal* pipes (copper, aluminum, steel, etc.) have an OD of 1 1/8", which is just too big for my comfort. And for me, I've never had success using razor blades or x-acto knives to cut circles -- I tend to overshoot, which would be a *terrible* mistake here. So like a grade-school art project, I'll stick to scissors.

The best thing is to trace around something for a really nice, round hole. But we're back to the same problem: where do you find something? After a bunch of thinking and daydreaming, I came up with the idea of using a ratchet socket. They step down gently in pretty small increments. In my case, a 17 mm socket was it: right around 31/32".

So now I have something to trace. But what do I use to draw? I tried an ultra-fine Sharpie pen (in red), but it wouldn't show up on the black trilam material. Others suggested a paint pen, but I've never seen one with a fine tip. My wife suggested something that worked perfectly: a chalk pencil. She has one that has a plastic holder into which you insert a small chalk insert thing. It's like halfway between a wax/china pencil and blackboard chalk. Best of all, it sharpens to a fine point with a pencil sharpener, which is exactly what we did. (After thinking about it, it's just like a tailor's chalk in principle.) Worked like a charm.

So, I traced around my socket with the chalk pencil, with a block of wood inside the suit to give me a solid surface. Got a really nice circle. Then, deep breath, cut into that suit. SLOW and careful with a real good pair of scissors: Oxo Good Grips kitchen scissors. A bit big but sharp and smooth. Actually, not *perfectly* smooth: micro-serrated blades, which really helped grab the fabric.

(10,000 character limit! Follow up in the next post)

Attaching the Valve

So, now we've got a hole in the suit. How do we attach the P-valve?

I've found two common ways, and one outlier way. Some people suggest using Auqaseal to cement the valve into the hole. I think the only reason that some people suggest that is something along the lines of, "Well, it's a wet/dry suit, and we use Aquaseal to stick things to wet/dry suits, so we'll use Auqaseal to stick the P-valve to the suit!" Others (a pretty high percentage of others) say you do *not* want to use Aquaseal. You may need to repair or replace this thing, and Aquaseal is *not* designed to come off. You don't need something that *holds*, you need something that *seals*. I did not pursue this path in detail.

So we come to the other common way: sealant rather than adhesive. The most common suggestion is RTV silicone sealant. In this application, I understand that the sealant does not actually completely cure, or maybe when it is cured it doesn't actually stick to things. Just seals things. The point being, you can remove it without destroying your suit or the valve. I *also* understand that this is *different* from typical bathroom-style silicone adhesive sealant. I'm not certain that it's different, but the properties do seem different. You may want to splurge for the right stuff rather than cheap out with that old tube of caulk you've got.

For both sealant and adhesive, the procedure seems very similar: scuff the suit and the valve for better adherence, put a *thin* layer or bead of goo (nearly always suggested on just the inside side of the suit), screw the valve down -- making sure the hose points where you want it to (vertical but slightly tipped toward the groin) -- and let it cure.

Now we come to the outlier way: rubber washers instead of adhesive or cured sealant. The advantage of this method is that the installation is completely removable. Just unscrew it and you can do whatever you need to: clean, repair, replace, etc. Then just screw it all back together. If given two choices, one that has some sort of point of no (or difficult) return, and one that's completely reversible, I will nearly *always* take the latter, and certainly for the first time I'm trying to do something. So washers it is!

I first came across this idea in a Youtube video:

I've since seen variations of this in other places as well. Some recommend patches of old latex seals instead, for example. But I didn't have any old latex laying around. I thought about tire inner tube material, but I hadn't seen anyone else suggest this and this is not the time for original research. I had also heard o-rings vaguely suggested, but with nothing approaching any reproducible details. So I decided to go with the video's suggestion: rubber washers from Home Depot.

Off to Home Depot to find these things. I assumed they'd be in plumbing for some reason, but the plumbing guy didn't have anything close. (The closest thing was rubber gasket material in relatively large square sheets.) So a bit of Googling to find out that they're actually *neoprene* washers and they're in the fastener aisle, in the pull-out specialty drawers (with "Neoprene Washers" clearly on the front of the drawer). I used the 2" OD x 0.5" ID x 1/16" thick ones as recommended. Unfortunately, none had a hole anywhere near large enough to use without cutting, so I got the cheapest 2" one. (In the end, I hadn't measured the OD of the P-valve, and just went with the suggested 2". I think the 1.5" might have been a better choice. Certainly for the outside, but likely for both. Check that out if you try this, and they're only $1 or so each, so buy them both and save yourself a trip!)

Same process for putting holes in the washers: my socket and the chalk pencil and cut it to the ID of the mark. Make sure it fits without pushing the ID of the washer at all: if it bunches, the gasket won't seal. Slightly too big of a hole is better than slightly too small.

Assembly

Then, assembly time. The video describes only a single gasket installed on the inside between the suit and the valve body, but other sources suggested two. A few sources suggested a bit of soapy water to lubricate the gaskets, because when you tighten them down they'll have a tendency to bunch and wrinkle, which won't give you a watertight seal. In my case, I went with two gaskets: inside and outside, with the trilam material sandwiched in between. I don't think that this will make the sealing *worse* than one seal, so I did it.

Then it's time to tighten down the outer nut (again, making sure the hose is pointed where you want), screw on the outer valve cap, and put the set screw back in. The installation is done! Whew!

Testing

Now, time to test. The easiest way I saw was the same way as in the video: put the suit on and blow it up until you're just shy of the Michelin Man. Spray some soapy water all around the valve. Squeeze the suit a bit. You should see no bubbles. If you don't, you did it! For me, no bubbles. Yay!

Final Thoughts

Honestly, this technique made the entire process *really* stress-free. I know a lot of people get anxious at the idea of putting a hole in their drysuit. I really don't *want* to screw it up, but really, it's not that much of a risk. If something goes wrong, *that's* when you grab the Aquaseal and put a patch over it! :) (It doesn't hurt that my suit is quite old and already *has* a few patches -- not a suit I just paid more than all of my other SCUBA gear combined... :) ). Obviously, you really don't want to cut that hole too big, but other than that, the rest of it is just a few cents in washers and a bit of time. No big deal at *all*.

It also made the entire process *really* quick. From the time I got home until it was installed was about 90 minutes. It took me another 90 minutes to test it and clean up.

So, hopefully, my testing is accurate and my suit stays dry. I'm diving in shallow, fresh, open water in Florida, so if it leaks, no real catastrophe. If it floods... well, I'm bringing my wetsuit as a backup! :) I'm actually much more worried about hooking up and *using* the stupid thing than the installation...

But that's another post for another time. (Or not... :) )

If you have any other thoughts or suggestions, please feel free to add them below. For those of you with a fully removable gasket installation like mine: any issues? The only feedback I've seen is positive, but if you know better, please let me know!

Have you considered you might have to do some “manscaping”?

:D

Have you considered you might have to do some “manscaping”?

Not for *installing* a P-valve, no. With my method, no glue involved... :) Done *lots* of reading about using, but haven't gotten that far. Like I said, *using* the thing is another matter for another time.

Not for *installing* a P-valve, no. With my method, no glue involved... :) Done *lots* of reading about using, but haven't gotten that far. Like I said, *using* the thing is another matter for another time.

I meant for using the thing. At least your amount of glue involved is less than us gals use for a She-P. It’s regular arts & crafts time! .D

For a cheap hole punch alternative you can buy the Hole Saws for drills and just grind them down so they are sharp. If you can’t make it sharp enough just use a torch and make it hot so it melts a hole.

A 24mm hole punch is around 10-15$ on Ebay. If you get a short piece of 1"OD alum pipe and spend a few minutes with either a lathe or a beltsander, you can get the OD down to the 24mm pretty easy. then heat the punch and push it through the trilaminate.
Remember to put a board inside the leg before you start poking holes, it's really embarrassing to have the hole on both sides of the leg.:banghead:
I also always cut a 2.5" square of scrap trilaminate, poke a hole in the middle of it and glue it to the inside of the suit as a reinforcement. If you want to do a really good job you can also get a really good seal on the hole by glueing homecut 2mm rubber washers to both sides of the hole. (for this your punch has to be sharp. 2mm sheet latex is also available through Ebay in smaller quantities).

Glueing anything with contact cement works best with:
New cement (an old can or tube that was opened months ago can be given to people you don't like)
120grit sandpaper for the rubber
Clean everything with REAL nitrosolvent
3 thin coats of the cement, with the last coat being tacky but not quite dry
lots of pressure for over an hour

Michael

@RayfromTX is doing this soon, tagging him...

. . .
So, hopefully, my testing is accurate and my suit stays dry. I'm diving in shallow, fresh, open water in Florida, so if it leaks, no real catastrophe. If it floods... well, I'm bringing my wetsuit as a backup! :) I'm actually much more worried about hooking up and *using* the stupid thing than the installation...

Definitely try it out before Fundies. Despite all that has been written about using these things, it took me many dives to determine what routing worked best, how/when to don and doff the catheter, etc. I also ended up plugging the balance chamber (mine is a Halcyon, not Light Monkey) because no matter what I did, that supposedly one-way ("duckbill") valve didn't always prevent urine from leaking back into the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom