P-Valve Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dann-Oh

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a few questions about using pee valves.

1) I am wondering if anyone could share their "p-valve rinse kit" (a parts list would be an AWESOME bonus). I have the Light Monkey Tinkle Valve on my suit. Are all the QDs the same size? the Light Monkey website says their tinkle valves come with a medium catheter but I don't think that's the size of the QD.

I'm thinking I could use a setup like the following:

QD fitting + hose + barbed fitting (fitted to the cap of a soda bottle) + soda bottle with cleaner/rinse fluid.

2) When going pee with the p-valve (the LightMonkey tinkle is a balanced unit), do I need to add air to my drysuit to increase the internal pressure to help the pee flow through the system?

3) Should the penis be pointing up (towards my face) or down (towards my feet)? I think it should be pointed towards my feet to minimize the twists and turns in the pee tube.

4) Did you have to trim the length of the pee tube after you got the valve. My pee valve tube seems REALLY long but this is my first one so I have no reference.

1- QD's should all be Colder 1/4" PLC series. The specific barbs may be different sizes depending on hoses. I use the same QD that connects to the cath and have a squeeze ketchup bottle type thing with a hose on the end. There isn't any real pressure there so you can just hold it on the barb vs. fitting over it.

2-no, no gas in the system once purged so everything is at ambient pressure and the balance valve makes sure it doesn't create a negative pressure when descending.

3-whichever is more comfortable. Gravity is not part of the equation and at low pressure/velocity the twists/turns won't cause appreciable resistance. Most run "up" and over the waist band then back down to the valve

4-generally recommended to custom fit this depending on routing preference. Mine is probably 2ft long to come up from the p-valve, over the waist band, then back down.

2oz syringe. Toss the cath and plug everything back together. Shoot the cleaning juice of your choice through. Rinse. And it will also push air through to empty the lines.

#2, no

#3, go outside and pee on a fence post. aim for the top and aim for the bottom. Which one feels better to you? Do that.

#4 will depend on #3. I actually have an extra disconnect with about 4" of line. This allows for a quick connect up near my belly button. That quick connect is a "dry break"

2) When going pee with the p-valve (the LightMonkey tinkle is a balanced unit), do I need to add air to my drysuit to increase the internal pressure to help the pee flow through the system?

You don't need to add air to help it flow through the system, but if my suit is sitting too snug I'll sometimes have to add some air to relieve bladder pressure to start the flow. So for my benefit, not the valve or tube :)

You don't need to add air to help it flow through the system, but if my suit is sitting too snug I'll sometimes have to add some air to relieve bladder pressure to start the flow. So for my benefit, not the valve or tube :)
Suit squeezing my junk against my abdomen when routed "up" is why I ultimately switched to routing "down." I suspect most people route up, though.

Suit squeezing my junk against my abdomen when routed "up" is why I ultimately switched to routing "down." I suspect most people route up, though.

When routing down, do you cut a hole in your undergarmets and base layers for the pee tube to route through? I tried routing through the fly on my underwere and baselayer then up and over the waistband of my baselayer BUT I had a blow off during my predive leak check. Im wondering if it was the cray tube routing I had because when I did a leak check at home in the shower in my underwere I had zero issues.

Remember... when putting on the condom cath, "the skin" should go forwards, and not back like a regular condom...

Make like a turtle (everyone has done it) and push the head in, put the cath on, let the head push back out into the tip of the cath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom