P-Valve Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suricatasuricata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks,
I have a BARE HDC Tech suit which I bought from the shop with a P-Valve (Light Monkey Tinkle valve) installed. When I bought it, I didn't think to get pockets installed so I am paying the price right now to figure out how to get that done right.

BARE told me that when I ship the suit to them to get pockets installed, I need to "remove Pee Valves before shipping drysuits or I will pay an $120 cleaning fee". I am a bit bewildered by this because if I see this video on how P-Valves are installed, looking like removing it leaves just an empty hole in the drysuit. So how would they leak test the suit after attaching the pockets?

This is of course contingent on the assumption that it is possible to remove the P-Valve. Because I do find the hose sort of uncomfortable when diving and I don't see myself needing to actually use the P-Valve for a 50-60 dives or so (till I get proficient at using the drysuit). I'd love to know if that is possible. I reached out to Light Monkey as well but haven't heard back from them yet!

Thanks!

I am guessing they want you to remove the hose and other plumbing for sanitary reasons but not the through-suit fitting. Generally that part is Aquasealed in place and cannot be removed without cutting the suit, which is a bit much to expect. Once you have the hose off and removed the plug, you can clean out the valve easily.

You should call and ask them to clarify this.

the p-valve should unscrew, it's 2 pieces and while they have gaskets to make them seal on the suit they are designed to be removed for cleaning.
When you send to Bare they will either have blanking plugs or a p-valve they will install to leak test, pretty standard.
If you aren't using the p-valve you can just remove the hose and leave it installed but I personally consider them a necessity and would strongly recommend that you get used to using them earlier rather than later but that's just me.

Thanks folks. Let me call them and ask regarding this.
If you aren't using the p-valve you can just remove the hose and leave it installed but I personally consider them a necessity and would strongly recommend that you get used to using them earlier rather than later but that's just me.

Fair point. It is more that I am having a hard time adjusting to the suit, wearing gloves and a hood. Feels like I am starting afresh diving in terms of trim and buoyancy. The hose wrapped around my knee didn't help at all with that process. But yeah, I should get used to this rather than subconsciously optimizing my water intake pre-dive to avoid peeing.

Thanks folks. Let me call them and ask regarding this.

Fair point. It is more that I am having a hard time adjusting to the suit, wearing gloves and a hood. Feels like I am starting afresh diving in terms of trim and buoyancy. The hose wrapped around my knee didn't help at all with that process. But yeah, I should get used to this rather than subconsciously optimizing my water intake pre-dive to avoid peeing.
You'll have to get used to the hose eventually. If I'm doing a short dive and don't plug in then I will still route the hose "normally" and just tuck it into my waist band

Yep, I will do that, that makes sense, thanks!

Today I did a short dive in 8°C water. Was plugged in, but did not feel the need to let it rip.
But if I go in a warm bathtub unlpugged I will feel the need to pee as soon as my boot touches the water.
Once you use it, you'll wonder how you dove without it.

If it's getting sent back solely to add pockets I would strongly consider carefully following the directions of one of the companies selling add on pockets (not to contribute to thread drift, just something to consider...).

If it's getting sent back solely to add pockets I would strongly consider carefully following the directions of one of the companies selling add on pockets (not to contribute to thread drift, just something to consider...).

Can you please expand on this further? What am I missing?

Yes, I do have options of sending it elsewhere than BARE (e.g. companies selling add on pockets from Halcyon, Light Monkey etc).
The tradeoff of why I am considering BARE is that

a) They are the manufacturer and they have a "lifetime warranty on seams" that I don't want to violate, which is one of the reasons I reached out to them for best practices because I saw some weird wording on the warranty about aquaseal violating warranties.

b) The pocket seems identical to what Halcyon/DUI has in terms of size, velcro, bungee loops, inner pockets but does work out to be ~$100 cheaper. It could be that the pocket is mediocre but I haven't found data one way or the other yet.

Can you please expand on this further? What am I missing?
Because you can add pockets yourself? Just glued on the outside. At least I think that's what @GiraffeMarineSalvage was getting at.

I can understand if you're looking for pockets to be stitched into a suit and Bare to still stand behind it, but glued on pockets would hold up and don't need stitching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom