P-Valve Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a similar setup to @Boarderguy , but instead of a water bottle I use an old hydration pack with the quick-disconnect fitting attached to the hydration pack hose. When I flush my p-valve it looks like I'm administering an IV drip to my drysuit. :rofl3:

My hydration pack is where I first found the quick disconnects at. I specifically keep the hydration pack separate from the pee valve plumbing.

Looking at the water bottle connection, looks like NPT threads through the cap. One could save some money and just do that with a barbed fitting instead of a high dollar sharkbite connection.

My hydration pack is where I first found the quick disconnects at. I specifically keep the hydration pack separate from the pee valve plumbing.

Looking at the water bottle connection, looks like NPT threads through the cap. One could save some money and just do that with a barbed fitting instead of a high dollar sharkbite connection.
Sharkbite was $5.50 at Lowe's for 1/4 NPT and fit the hose perfectly. A barbed 1/4 x 1/2 is $3.00 So I spent $3 more and it works well. When I built mine they were out of the barbed adapters and I'm not worried about $3...
Screenshot_20230330_080147_Lowe's.jpg

Screenshot_20230330_080225_Lowe's.jpg

Anyone got a good source of condom catheters that don't come off after an hour of two of some sweating? The Bard Ultraflex are what I have now. They come off pretty easy and quick. I never know its off until its too late. There has to be something out there with better glue. Back inthe early 2000's I had to shower to get them off and they were not clear latex like these are.

Anyone got a good source of condom catheters that don't come off after an hour of two of some sweating? The Bard Ultraflex are what I have now. They come off pretty easy and quick. I never know its off until its too late. There has to be something out there with better glue. Back inthe early 2000's I had to shower to get them off and they were not clear latex like these are.
Rochester widebands guess like they wanted them to be permanently fitted to junior. Amazon has them, at least when checking from here. I use Conveen which lets go far easier, but I have no issue with two dives in one go.

Also I don't get the fascination with a flushing system. I have a bottle of vinegar, and pour that stuff through the hose using an old catcher, then flush with garden hose through the same cathether

Rochester/Bard Widebands vs. Conveens

Conveens are, errm, convenient. A nice pocket sized plastic container, they’re a flexible silicone material with a nifty polythene strip which you pull to roll it on your old chap.

The Bard/Rochester Widebands are made of a more latex like material, probably silicone. This has a thicker teat/tube at the end which you push the barbed end of the pee valve connector into. It can be pushed to bunch up any excess of the teat/tube onto the barb. Some people cut 6mm (1/4 inch) off the teat/tube, but I’ve found that bunching the excess works fine.

The thicker teat/tube of the Rochesters helps prevent kinking in your underpants. The Conveens with their thinner material are prone to kinking and therefore blocking the spout.

This is where the real differences come in. The Rochesters *really* stick. The Conveen glue isn’t as sticky as the Rochesters. This does mean that Conveens are easier— and much less painful— to remove than Rochesters.

But…

When a catheter kinks, and the urge to pee is great, a lot of back pressure will build up in the catheter. This is where glue strength really counts…. The Conveens, alas, do not match the strength of the Rochester's glue and the back pressure will eventually lead to the Conveens leaking from the base of your todger. Bring a refuse sack to pack your urine soaked underwear for washing.

Rochester/Bard Widebands do not leak! They stick so well and with the thicker teat/tube, it’s less prone to kink and block in the first place. If it does, then it doesn’t leak. Not in my experience anyway.

To release the glue from either, but always from the Rochesters, use some Appeel medical adhesive remover spray. It’s like magic.

I prefer the convenience of the Conveens. But I’m tired of leaks. Two weeks ago I last regretted not using my Rochesters yet again. Thankfully I managed to rinse out the BZ400 and underclothes — for the second time this season — and dry it out overnight ready for the next day’s diving. Praise be for the HangAir fan suit hanger and the Marine Quest drying room.

Some photos.

The Rochester/Bard Widebands on the left and Conveen (Standard length) on the right. Packaged behind the open ones. Also included the pee valve quick connect. The Conveens are much smaller in their package and note the polythene "puller-onner" tab. Rochesters have a thermoplastic former to which the glue doesn't stick.

IMG_7827.jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

The pee valve quick connect pushed into the Rochester/Bard. Note the bunching where you push the excess in so it folds back on itself.

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7831.jpg

The pee valve on the drysuit. I have the "convenience zip" option (fly zip) which is great for rummaging around and drying the suit.

When ready, take your catheter, insert the quick-connect as above, then put it on your old chap. Generally it's easiest to do this prior to getting on the dive boat.

When dressing, you route the pipe up and over your waistband, down to the glued on catheter. Push the quick-connect into the pipe side until it clicks. Make sure the pipe and catheter aren't kinked, nor one of your waistbands (underpants, trousers, etc.) is sitting on the connection between the catheter and quick-connect

The quick connect shown pushed into the suit-side connector, the pipe going down to the pee valve itself.
IMG_7832.jpg

After diving...
Take off your drysuit top in a private place (at the back of the boat with your leg hanging out), rummage around and pull the quick-connect off the catheter. Shake out any liquid from the still attached catheter and put it away man!

I then take a bottle of water, take a mouthful of water, lips around the quick-connect then blow the water down the quick-connect through the pipe to flush out any liquid. Blow one or two lungfuls of air down it. Repeat 5 or more times so it's thoroughly rinsed through.

I unclip the quick connect so it seals (the one above is self-sealing), then dry the suit or roll it into the bag.

I prefer the Conveens over the Rochester Widebands. The Rochesters do adhere better, but the anti-kinking bellows feature on the Conveens won me over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom