P-Valve Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to order these. Someone cut me out if I can't get it off! LOL Thanks for the info!

1685537693900.png

I prefer the Conveens over the Rochester Widebands. The Rochesters do adhere better, but the anti-kinking bellows feature on the Conveens won me over.
Conveens are more convenient. But the teat/tube kinks flat and the glue won't take much back pressure; the glue gives way and it leaks out of the base.

Every failure I've had are Conveens. Never had a failure with Rochester/Bard Widebands -- even if it's kinked, the pressure does slowly release because the thicker tube/teat wall doesn't fold flat. Not comfortable, but still better than soggy undies.

Going to order these. Someone cut me out if I can't get it off! LOL Thanks for the info!

View attachment 785845
Size matters.

TL;DR: get the biggest ones available

It's really important to size them. Too big means it won't glue around the shaft without crinkling up or folding over, leaving a path to leak as soon as there's any pressure.

Too small means it ends up like a tortoise pulling the skin over the end! Tried this once when I was given some Conveens that were a size too small. Was a very cold day, so the old chap was hiding away and didn't want to get into the bag! Did the dive and thankfully didn't need a pee as I discovered it hiding away with a lot of skin.

There are sizing templates which you use to measure the diameter of the widest part of your old chap. If you don't know your size, try contacting Rochester/Bard for them to send you a sizing template.

For first time users, kind of recommend you dive without peeing and check that when you get out the catheter's still in place with no crinkles. It's an odd sensation using a pee valve at first, but so so satisfying! The best thing is you can neck a bottle of water before diving so you're fully hydrated -- good for deco and comfort.

I’m a fan of the conveens but I trim the end to 2 ribs so it can’t kink…

I’m a fan of the conveens but I trim the end to 2 ribs so it can’t kink…
You can push the 'tube' to ruck up on the barb; same result as trimming the 'tube'. Easy on the Conveens, also possible on the Bard/Rochesters but needs a bigger push.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom