p-valve hose routing and undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t pee standing up out of the water.
I pee standing nearly every time I'm in the damn thing. Makes zero difference if you use a wideband and have a clean shaft.
Never got why everyone wants a qd. It takes 10s to put the cath on a barb with no extra parts or valves to fail.

KISS
It is simpler with a QD. Literally a single button and you're connected or disconnected. Great if you plan a couple dives and may end up out of the suit for whatever reason. No dicking around with getting the barb set while in the suit. Way easier (simple) with a QD. I don't see why do many are set on fiddling with the cath while in the suit to get the hose connected.

Never got why everyone wants a qd. It takes 10s to put the cath on a barb with no extra parts or valves to fail.

KISS
Made to measure suit doesn't have that much room to get my mitts down there and fuss with blindly putting a barbed fitting into some floppy silicone. Prefer to do that bit where I can work it and see it.

KISS
I think it is just what you get used to. My normal cold water suit has a QD on the hose so I use it. The suit I have been diving down here in Mexico has a barb fitting so I have been using that. I don't think there is any difference in how long it takes to suit up. You still have to stick a barb fitting in the cath.

Made to measure suit doesn't have that much room to get my mitts down there and fuss with blindly putting a barbed fitting into some floppy silicone. Prefer to do that bit where I can work it and see it.
I just pull mine out and hold it out in front of my chest so I can see what I am working with. Doesn't everybody do it that way?

To better answer the question...

My Seaskin undergarment has a zip on the top and bottom. I fully zip up and then raise the lower zipper enough to connect. I then route the hose up into my undergarment with my unit pointing up. Then I zip back down and call it a day, ready to go. I pre-dive pee, while standing away from the gear up area, to make sure everything is correct before I don my rig most of the time. No unusual pressure means I'm good to go.

KISS
Agreed and honestly the qd is a bit of a flow restriction. I notice more balloning when I have one in the system

Ok, so QD or no, any tips for how to deal with things at the end of the day? Should I expect I'll just end up with some dribbled pee everywhere? Or does the hose actually empty and fill with air once on dry land?

Getting ready to try my first "dry-run" with the good ole p-valve. I was checking out the new FE Arctics, and they are promoting they are "Pee-valve ready"... which either looks like a zip on the thighs, or maybe a the two small slits in front neat the waist band. I just picked up the old style (good Black Friday discounts) and there doesn't seem to be either. So, how am I supposed to route the hose?

I'm guessing it goes up through the waistband and loops back down? Does anyone happen to have a simple diagram for how it's supposed to work?
One pc suit or 2 pc?
If its a 2 pc just run it up and down through the waist band.
If a 1 pc figure out were u want the hose to run ie left side/right side and have a seamstress put a button hole were u want the hose to run.
No need for disconnects in my humble opion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom