Condolences Catalina fatality 5/31/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have known Dave for over 30 yrs. He was like a brother and I will miss him dearly. We love you Dave, the Nevarez family

They're from video capture so sorry for the quality. I was supposed to go with them to Avalon and video the class, but had a prior commitment in the Bahamas! I will try to get a few more of him in class if I can.
790_DSC01149_Class_Mates.jpg

I would like to thank all of your for your kind comments about Dave. He would have made a hell of diver. I have known him and his family for about 35 yrs, and worked in law enforcement with him. No better man to "go through the door" with.

Joe Nevarez

To all who visit this site, or knew my brother.

My name is Dale Pike, I am a 20 year Pilot/Agent with U.S. Customs and Border protection, and I am David's older brother. I have been a certified diver since 1975, with over 200 dives, and had no idea that Dave even had an interest. I was on assignment in Puerto Rico, staying in Aguadilla. We had a terrific dive site off the back of our apartment, called the "Blue Hole". This site is about 75 to 100 yards offshore with a mild shore break reef. One of my crew mates and I decided to make a two tank day of diving the reef. We hit the water at 1300 Eastern time and were on the reef about 10 minutes later. As we dropped through about 10 feet, I experienced what I thought was a heart attack. I had pain in my chest, difficulty in breathing, and thought I was dying. I got my dive buddy's attention, and we surfaced. I told him I had never felt this before, and thought I was going to die. He began to help me into shallow water, and as we reached the inner reef, I was able to stand. The entire feeling passed in a matter of a few minutes, I felt great, got back on my regulator, and dropped into about 10 feet to see how I felt. We were able to finish the dive, and had a great time. Afterward, we talked about it, and he thought I had had a panic attack, as I had not been down in a while, but I felt that something was not right.

I was having a drink in a little tropical bar, when I got a cell call from my sister, telling me the facts of David's accident, (continued next Post)

I immediately booked a flight home, and arrived on Sunday the 1st. I spoke with my family, the LASO, and anyone that I could find with information. It seems that David had his accident at the exactly the same time I had my "panic attack", 10:10 am, Pacific, 1310, Eastern. We gathered all his belongings, and have begun the memorial process. The autopsy was completed yesterday and David was transported to the McWane Funeral Home in Hemet, Ca.

Some of the events surrounding his death are unclear, but I'm sure that everything will come to light. It appears that he was on his final openwater Cert. dive, was in about 15 feet of water, sitting on a structure. We are told that he gave his dive master the ok or thumbs up sign, and she surfaced to bring down another student. I am told that David experienced some issue and made an emergency ascent on his B.C. From accounts he was marginally conscious, then became unresponsive. He was taken to the hyperbaric chamber, where he later prounounced dead, by a physician.

( continued next post)

My brother was a guy's guy, and a man's man. He loved being a cop, and loved those that worked with him. David was what he did. He was Deputy Sgt. David Pike, and he was great at it. He served for 28 years with the Riverside County Sherrif's Department, and retired on the 28th of April 2008. For anyone that knew him, he always made a connection, and made a difference. I can't say that he would have chosen to end his life this way, but it would be close. Learning something new, having an adventure, and being larger than life.

To all those that helped him, and were with him at the end I, and my family thank you dearly. You treated him with respect and kindness, and with the professional courtesy he deserved. To LASO Deputies Austin and Penneton, to the SBSO dive team that came to his aid, and to the LA Coroner's office, our most heartfelt thanks.

David would have been a great diver, and proponent of the sport. He did everything in life with enthusiasm, and joy. For further information regarding Memorial Services and Interrment, please E-mail me at Av8nflyguy1@aol.com God Bless.

Dale, thanks for posting here. I know it is a difficult time for all of the family. There are some here that knew your brother personally and others who only know of him because of this situation. But, he is a diver and that binds us together as a community. I hope I speak for the diving community when I say we're so sorry for your loss.

I am an RSO Dispatcher and Dave was a great man. I remember being in radio training nearly 4 years ago and getting words of encouragement to help me thru training, he was one of the patrol watch commanders on my shifts. He gladly would have given his shirt of his back if someone needed it. I was actually at work when supervisors told us and it was a somber rest of the day.

Rest in Peace brother we now have the watch

Brandon

Back
Top Bottom