• 231ft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *66ft

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • 297ft +

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides, free ascents are more about self-confidence and panic resistance than making it to the surface bent but not drowned or embolized.

And that's the point, as long as there are options in an emergency situation, one can put panic aside momentarily and think more clearly about resolving the problem. And if there is no option besides the cesa, then that may save your life, you don't have to panic until that doesn't work.

Bob

I mean a mid ventilation cycle out of air where your next breath must be from the surface to survive and you can arrive there in good health. Also not rocketing fully positively buoyant or arriving unconscious.

Does blowing safe ascent speed count as "in good health"?

Does blowing safe ascent speed count as "in good health"?

Compared to drowning, heck yes. Don't get off in the weeds on this. Emergency ascents are for when other options fail and to build confidence that you can safely get to the surface no matter what goes sideways. Also don't think that it is an obtuse skill or technique. Free ascents have been used for decades and is still taught to military divers and submarine sailors. Literally thousands of us.

I don't know exactly what my number is today. Some time back I would do 85-100' regularly. The thing that I DO know about "today" is that I am very relaxed under water and I don't panic in hardly any situation. I have learned through various training scenarios (some not anywhere related to diving) that the best outcome for me will come if I keep my wits about me and deal with the situation at hand. Part of this is situational awareness and a constant mental update as to what it will take to survive an adverse situation.
I realize that the greatest majority of new divers have to gain a level of experience before they can be situationally aware, because a lot of this only comes with experience. I believe (and try to back up my beliefs with actions) that more experienced divers should become situationally aware and as such maintain an awareness of the divers around them. I'm not saying that we need to be nursemaids to lesser experienced divers, but rather be aware if they encounter problems. In the past four months, while vacationing as an AOW diver (which is the card I dive on), I have "saved" several dives while underwater without anyone but the other diver and I knowing about it. I was in the right place at the right time. The dive guides were with the other divers of the group. I was just hanging back like I normally do.
Not looking for any kind of atta-boy, just saying more advanced divers can sometimes help keep a situation from going too far south.
I hope I didn't take this thread too far askew.

Cheers - M²

Based on what I do horizontally in the pool every other day, I should be able to do 80-ish comfortably, 100-ish uncomfortably, and 132 with a great deal of psycological pain and suffering that I expect dosen't count as "bad health" either. I don't intend to ever find out how my "should" translates to "can".

Based on what I do horizontally in the pool every other day, I should be able to do 80-ish comfortably, 100-ish uncomfortably, and 132 with a great deal of psycological pain and suffering that I expect dosen't count as "bad health" either. I don't intend to ever find out how my "should" translates to "can".

In that case, you can easily do 200'. You aren't working nearly as hard because you would be buoyant, with the help of your BC or dropping lead. You have loads of Oxygen onboard, more than you could consume in 10 minutes. Finally, CO2 isn't building up because you are venting off gas while exhaling... assuming you are habituated to do them, don't panic, and therefore make it to the surface without lung tissue clogging your exhaust valve.

Hmmm. . . what are you going to do if you have the OOA problem on the inhale?

I always dive with a 19cuft pony, no CESA for me

Based on what I do horizontally in the pool every other day.

While it says something about your conditioning, I do not know if that translates directly or not. With CESA you are trying to control your rate of climb and avoid holding your breath while some folks I have seen doing a horizontal swim under water hold their breath and try to move rapidly.

Hmmm. . . what are you going to do if you have the OOA problem on the inhale?

Boyle's Law and lots of dissolved O2 in your tissues are still your friends. Your normal respiratory cycle does not include a deep exhalation so you're not on total empty.

I always dive with a 19cuft pony, no CESA for me

Prudent, but it isn't a binary "OR" choice. A bailout bottle reduces your risk but doesn't eliminate it. So far, the surface is the only 100% reliable gas backup option... if you have the skills to get there when everything turns to poo.

Boyle's Law and lots of dissolved O2 in your tissues are still your friends. Your normal respiratory cycle does not include a deep exhalation so you're not on total empty.
Ahhh but the OP's estimate of his safe CESA depth was based on an underwater horizontal swim. Want to take bets on whether that is done on a full inhale?

Back
Top Bottom