Configuration: Miflex Long Hose - Single Tank - Yoke Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SanFranDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do I need a 90 degree elbow coming off my first stage LP port to correctly align my long hose (for the under the canister, across the chest, behind the neck setup)? If it's more complicated than that, what is the correct routing and bits'n'pieces that I need in the air-delivery chain?

My first Stage is a Zeagle Flathead XP

I haven't actually bought the 7' Miflex. I read in another thread that some folks thought a standard rubber hose (being stiffer) routed better than the Miflex. Thoughts?

Last edited:
What first stage are you using? I just rotate mine a little when connecting so the reg. hoses are angled towards my right side when using my Mares 1st stage.

If you use a 7 ft hose, it will wrap around your neck and sit with no strain, so you don't need a swivel.

If you use a 5 ft hose and come directly from under your arm to your mouth (which I do because I don't carry a can light) then the 120 deg Dive Rite swivel is useful (but not necessary) - it makes it slightly more comfortable.

Most folks recommend not using one of those infinitely adjustable ball swivels, since there have been reported cases of them coming apart (I think there was a a recall on a couple of models).

i use the 7' Miflex hose and do not see the need for a swivel elbow. I sits just fine for me. As for Miflex or rubber, I prefer the Miflex but prefer it to wrap under the cannister lights as oppossed to tucked into my webbing when not wearing the light.

I just bought the 7' miflex hose. I'm new to long hoses, but I can't see why you would need an elbow or a swivel. That hose is so flexible it'll go wherever you put it.

A swivel/elbow is more applicable to those diving only a 5' hose as it allows a diver to maximize their hose either when using the reg or sharing air with it.

Peace,
Greg

I don't believe that a swivel is justified when you consider how often they fail. If I'm paying $65+ for a dive charter, I don't want something that's not even really necessary to cost me the entire day of diving.

I use my cold-water DIN reg with a yoke adapter while on vacation, and I use a 5' Miflex hose. I never even thought about adding some kind of a swivel or elbow, even when I am in a bulky drysuit back home where 5' doesn't give me as much slack.

So I would say try it first without it, you may not need it.

If you're doing the 5 ft hose that routs like the 7 ft, except not under a can light, you do NOT want an elbow or swivel, the hose comes around from behind your head the same way as the 7 ft hose. An elbow would make the situation worse.

5 ft is too long to just rout under the arm and up for most divers; that would be more like a 40" hose, and in that case, an elbow would be nice. The 5 ft routing is usually a recreational diving, single tank variant on the 7 ft hose. I use it for my single tank diving, it works great. Actually my hose is two regular hoses coupled together, it's closer to 5'6". I think that's the perfect length; it's too bad they don't make standard hoses in that length. 5 ft is a little too short for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom