Conflict in middle east

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leolo

Reaction score
i know this isn't exactly a diving question, but:

i'm hoping to go dahab, egypt to do my dive-master training in april. does anyone know how the impending war in iraq will affect the area regarding tourism plummetting, westerners getting hasselled, etc.
i know that part of dive-master training is guiding dives, and i wonder will a slump in tourism result in a lack of divers to guide, or just maby make the area more pleasant and less crowded.
or will we be diving in a war zone with u.s. fighter-planes flying over head, and submarines crawling through the suez canal below us?
any current news from this part of the world would be greatlly appreciated.

thanks, leo

I gave up my visiting Sharm in February. A few friends of mine didn't. We'll see who's right.

MonkSeal

I went in Sharm one week after 9/11, also in this time there was the possibility of a war in the air, not so many tourists around, and people talked about evacuation of european and american people ,but we never had problems, in the present situation I wold personally go, but is a very personal decision...

i was actually on a live-aboard out of hurgada on september 11 2001. (very tense times) and have been back since then (august 2002), but deciding to stay on land for the guts of a month so near a war involving the u.s. has got me wondering. ????? we probably will go though.
thanks a million for your info, and if anyone else has any news, please post.

happy diving.
leo

leolo once bubbled...
or will we be diving in a war zone with u.s. fighter-planes flying over head, and submarines crawling through the suez canal below us?

Of one thing you can be certain: if there are U.S. fighters overhead, there will be no enemy fighter planes in the area.

At this time Egypt is a U.S. ally but I would consider the whole region as unstable and unsafe if it were me.

WW

On a practical level:

a) If you are booking your stay and course through a European or North American source, check with them regarding what would be likely in the event of war or conflict in that region.

b) Check your insurance policy - many policies will not cover in the event of war/terrorism/civil disturbance. Also, if you go to a country where there is a travel ban or warning, your policy may become invalidated.

c) Monitor the situation between now and your departure should you decide to go. UK nationals can look at the Foreign Office site http://www.fco.gov.uk/ and I believe the US State department is the source for US nationals.

Personal observation

I was in Dahab at the beginning of January and it seemed "normal" and peaceful enough. Mind you, I was only there for a week and only went between the hotel - dive sites - tourist hub. Some longer-term resident expatriates (guides, hoteliers etc) did express some concerns about impending attacks on Iraq and possible repercussions.

Some fellow holidaymakers from the UK told me they felt a bit uneasy around some of the locals with more "militant" views but I felt these were the exceptions rather than the norm and on the whole, the locals depend on the dive traffic. There was one teenage apprentice at the diveshop I used with a particularly obnoxious approach to western visitors (we were the symbols of imperialism and anti-Islamic evil) and after one of our party complained to management, the boy was promptly sacked.

All the best whatever you decide to do and travel safe.

After all, we're talking about Sinai. It is a desert place, where things happen at a different pace, even compared to Egypt...

However, I'm not sure you can find any place on earth (or space :( ) that can be 100% safe. After all, you all have seen what happened in Bali, New York city, etc.

Terror can catch all of us, even in our backyards (so staying home doesn't make it necessarily safer). However, cancelling diving trips to places like Sinai "because of the situation" only encourages more terror, because they see it works.

I don't believe the US-Iraq war (if it really begins) will make Sinai a dangerous place.

I can agree that war will not make a Sinai a dangerous place. But I know what war is (originaly I'm from Bosnia) and last few years I'm trying to stay as far away as I can from the war influenced areas. Also, the problem could be crowded airports, canceled fligths etc.

MonkSeal

One of the realities of having wars are the effect on the economy. Hell I know of 3 famillies who have cancelled plans to go to disney land as a result of the Potential Warmuch less the middle east. for an option try the PNW great diving and you can see such unusual sea creatures as Uncle Pug in the flesh too. Along side a whale shark i do hope to add an UP to my "seen" list one day. :)

Cherry

Some friends of mine went to Egypt back in November and didn’t seem to have any problems at all. I think they had some issue with armed guards in certain public places (on buses, etc.) but I think that’s fairly standard, and better to be safe than sorry!!!

I think that MonkSeal has hit the nail on the head though – the issue will be getting out of the country if it all kicks off. A work colleague of mine was diving in Bali when the bomb went off in Kuta; we had a team of four people trying to get flights out (anywhere) and a connection back to the UK. By all accounts it was a bit of a nightmare getting flights out…

Personally, I binned Sharm for the Caymans – didn’t want to chance it…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom