Confused where to start Oh to Fl ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stained91109

Registered
Reaction score
I am very new to diving, and am still working on my open water cert through SSI..However, I have become completely enthrawled with diving as I'm sure most who do have. After considering options open to divers I have decided to make a career out of scuba..I know getting my cert is the first step, but I'm not sure where to go after that... I am wondering if moving to FL to pursue diving is a good plan because of how compet. the job market is for divers. Also I have found it difficult to find information on the requirments for aaus cert so that I can do biological research dives. That would be a long time dream of mine fulfilled. Any help anyone could offer me to get a firm start would be greatly appriciated.

thanks all,
scott

My guess is that 95% of OW scuba instructors have a real job, and do scuba instruction part time. The remaining 5% likely is split between sales, marketing, and scuba instruction. Have you considered commercial diving? Like construction, inspection, and demolition?

I am very new to diving, and am still working on my open water cert through SSI..However, I have become completely enthralled with diving as I'm sure most who do have. After considering options open to divers I have decided to make a career out of scuba..I know getting my cert is the first step, but I'm not sure where to go after that... I am wondering if moving to FL to pursue diving is a good plan because of how compet. the job market is for divers. Also I have found it difficult to find information on the requirements for aaus cert so that I can do biological research dives. That would be a long time dream of mine fulfilled. Any help anyone could offer me to get a firm start would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all,
scott

Have you investigated whether you will be able to support yourself as a SCUBA instructor?

If you are interested in biological research why pursue the marine biology degree and work toward the divemaster/instructor certification as time permits.

By doing so you might open up a wider career path for yourself.

I agree with FisherDVM. All of the SCUBA instructors that I know have full time jobs. One owns a dive shop, the other four work in corporate America.

If I were young and unattached, I would probably find a divemaster job somewhere and just do a ton of diving in a tropical paradise. Fully aware of the fact that I am just going to have enough to pay for a simple room, a bicycle to get to work, and enough tortilla and beans for dinner.... Of course, I'll probably fish and poach a little with the locals. I am envious of the few I've met who are doing exactly that .... Perhaps you are still young and idealistic... It might make do for a year or two.

If you want to become a millionaire divemaster, as Steve Martin would say, "First, get a million dollars..."

Until then, move to Florida. Get some experience. Learn how to work a boat, take excellent care of your divers, and you'll always find work.

Hello Scott welcome to SB! I can appreciate your plight. One thing to consider before moving would be the cost to achieve the level of certification required to do what you would like. If located in OH? it is probably considerably cheaper to continue your diving education there and then move to a more favorable environment. If I were a younger man with fewer commitments I would get moving on my cert's and go for it! As previously mentioned it can be a challenge to make it on diving alone but not impossible. If the right circumstances are in place. For right now I would focus on training and learning all I could to be the best diver possible. While doing so talk to other divers, instructors, dive shop owners, dive boat captains, anyone who would listen and answer questions. In my short time as a diver I have found a wealth of information and of coarse opinion from talking to those directly involved with the scuba industry. It has been a truly incredible journey of the people I have met while chasing my dream. Go for it, just take it one day at a time! Good luck, CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I am very new to diving, and am still working on my open water cert through SSI..However, I have become completely enthrawled with diving as I'm sure most who do have. After considering options open to divers I have decided to make a career out of scuba..I know getting my cert is the first step, but I'm not sure where to go after that... I am wondering if moving to FL to pursue diving is a good plan because of how compet. the job market is for divers. Also I have found it difficult to find information on the requirments for aaus cert so that I can do biological research dives. That would be a long time dream of mine fulfilled. Any help anyone could offer me to get a firm start would be greatly appriciated.

thanks all,
scott

yeah, the bad news is that there isn't alot of money in diving. Most instructors, like my husband, have a "real" job that pays the bills, teaching is just for fun and hopefully break even on expenses. And the idea of moving to Florida - hmmm, there is a dive instructor around every corner.

But the Good NEWS is that you could get up through Divemaster and go for a job on a liveaboard for awhile. It is a good way to be in the industry and earn a living, especially while you are young and unattached. We have met several DM/Instructors lately on liveaboards who were doing it for fun (a break from college and to raise money for college) or in order to get enough experience to manage a dive operation. If you really want to work in the dive industry, this is a great place to start. Yes, you could work in a dive shop selling gear (been there, done that) but it pays barely over minimum wage and doesn't get you in the water.

robin:D

A Captains license would be a great asset for you, get one for the biggest boat you can. Some skills working on diesel engines would also make you more marketable. Drbill here on the board is a marine biologist on Catalina Island in California, he could give you a lot of insight in that regard.
Ber :lilbunny:

If I were young and unattached, I would probably find a divemaster job somewhere and just do a ton of diving in a tropical paradise. Fully aware of the fact that I am just going to have enough to pay for a simple room, a bicycle to get to work, and enough tortilla and beans for dinner.... Of course, I'll probably fish and poach a little with the locals. I am envious of the few I've met who are doing exactly that .... Perhaps you are still young and idealistic... It might make do for a year or two.
Sounds like a dream come true. The expierence alone would be worth it!!! I wonder how to get started on that?

A Captains license would be a great asset for you, get one for the biggest boat you can. Some skills working on diesel engines would also make you more marketable. Drbill here on the board is a marine biologist on Catalina Island in California, he could give you a lot of insight in that regard.
Ber :lilbunny:
Thanks for the advice. I Will look into getting a captains license. Knowing how to work on diesel engines sounds like a good way to always have a job on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom