Consensus on Overfilling Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you doing it with 3 phase power or doing a @tbone1004 conversion solution on the compressor. Lake City isn't known for easy 3 phase availability and electric costs are not cheap with FPL.& CCEC
Since I dive a RB and fill only for myself, the only compressor I'll bring over is a 220V Bauer Junior II. Yes, I have multiple 220V outlets in the garage.

probably no DOT stamps either which means you won't be able to get them filled elsewhere...
You got it, but why would I ever want to get a fill elsewhere, I've got an 8 diving day supply of 3L diluent and o2 tanks?
Eventually, after my supply of 300Bar O2 runs out, I'll end up having to buy a masterline electric booster, but thats a project for 2021 or early 2022.

Michael

with your own compressor your will likely have new scuba friends

Electric costs with FPL are less than 30% of what I'm paying per kw in Germany and with a 200A panel in the garage I'm not going to be running out of electricity unless there is a serious power outage. Even put a split lever AC in, to keep the garage cool after having 16" of insulation blown into the space between the cieling and roof.

Michael

Since I dive a RB and fill only for myself, the only compressor I'll bring over is a 220V Bauer Junior II. Yes, I have multiple 220V outlets in the garage.

You got it, but why would I ever want to get a fill elsewhere, I've got an 8 diving day supply of 3L diluent and o2 tanks?
Eventually, after my supply of 300Bar O2 runs out, I'll end up having to buy a masterline electric booster, but thats a project for 2021 or early 2022.

Michael

Electric costs with FPL are less than 30% of what I'm paying per kw in Germany and with a 200A panel in the garage I'm not going to be running out of electricity unless there is a serious power outage. Even put a split lever AC in, to keep the garage cool after having 16" of insulation blown into the space between the cieling and roof.

Michael

Just make sure the motors are rated for 60hz! and if you have an 8day supply of O2 and dil, you're fine. I have no objection to it.

A properly made 50hz motor has around 20% more iron in it than is necessary for a 60hz motor. A 220V 2 pole motor turns at just a hair under 3000rpm (2950) at 50hz and will turn at just a hair under 3600rpm at 60hz. To correct the compressor output you end up mounting a smaller pulley on the motor, otherwise a 3.5cuft/min compressor will produce 4.2cuft/min untill the compressr breaks from being run too fast.
I've already mounted the correct pulley on the motor for 60hz use.

Actually I've got 41800L of Helium and 75000L of O2 at 300Bar in my storage tanks and 8 sets of 3L tanks for the RBs.

Michael

Sorry to break up the compressor party. But. With the borders closed you won’t be coming to the states for a few months. And yes you do need DOT approved cylinders if your transporting them across any state or international border.

And yes you do need DOT approved cylinders if your transporting them across any state or international border.

No you don't. There is nobody inspecting cylinders in non-commercial use being moved around, across state lines or in/out of the country either. Plus, its not against the law to fill, use, or transport non-DOT cylinders privately.

The only one who would likely catch the DOT status is if you were shipping a truckload of cylinders and inspected by a federal DOT inspector like my buddy who is a USDOT inspector. And most truck inspections are by far at the state level.

I have personally crossed state lines commercially, been pulled over by DOT, had multiple tanks on the truck (propane, but still DOT), and never once have they even looked at the tanks.

I'm sure now that I've said something I'll be pulled over and inspected, but 15 years in no one's ever inspected the tanks.

A good slow fill will hit the full mark without much loss after cooling. A good filler can hit the full mark with just a few PSI over after cooling. If you have time it makes sense for a slow fill.
Further, 200-300 PSI don’t really matter due to SPG inaccuracies and temp drop when it hits the water.
In short, don’t over fill, calc rock bottom gas and enjoy your dive.

^^^^ this, when I take my HP tanks in i tell them I'm in no rush fill slow so they don't heat up. If you go in and say I need it filled in 5 minutes it's going to drift down. Stay bring them a six pack and shoot the **** with them or if your close enough drop them off near closing and pick them up at opening.

Back
Top Bottom