Conservation Projects in the Phillipinnes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's right, and the positive effects are already being noticed, communities coming on board, dynamite fishermen becoming advocates and volunteers of the programs and slowly some fish stocks are becoming healthier.
This is a great example for other communities around the world who are facing the issues of fish stock decline and the impact on their communities.
It is all possible because these communities are embracing change as they understand that it is the only way to improve their future, great leadership is needed and people who are committed to the cause and not what is only good for them.

That's right, and the positive effects are already being noticed, communities coming on board, dynamite fishermen becoming advocates and volunteers of the programs and slowly some fish stocks are becoming healthier.
This is a great example for other communities around the world who are facing the issues of fish stock decline and the impact on their communities.
It is all possible because these communities are embracing change as they understand that it is the only way to improve their future, great leadership is needed and people who are committed to the cause and not what is only good for them.

I would like to learn more. I will be in Dumagete later this year on a liveaboard to Cebu.
I am interested in finding places like this for a photo documentary journal I am planning to begin in 2013.

Thanks.

Tim

Hi Tim PM me so I can give you some more details but the best thing to do is visit the above mentioned website and check out sustainable fishing community projects n the philipinnes.

Just returned from the Philippines following up of what I left to do last year in 2011, this time much more success, I found some great pockets of hard coral recovery and some soft corals. The great thing is that I took one of the locals with me to make him understand what coral actually is and does.
He is now a strong believer to make the area a sanctuary and will present this to the community in order to recover fish sticks, a better future for the community and the possibility of attracting tourists to the area. All this will create new jobs and a future for the children in the community. A follow up will be done in April on the progress.
Happy days

Back
Top Bottom