considering a career in commercial diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pablo.el.buzo

Registered
Reaction score
hello all, as the tittle says im considering a career in this field of work. i am currently a divemaster and have been reading the the simple guide to commercial diving i am interested in air mixed gas in inshore diving, ive read the requirements and am aware of the risks involved from working in strenuous environments, etc.
i would like to hear your intel and suggestions, good and bad in my decision making process, and any other information is welcome as well

You need to let us know where you are from. There is a big difference between an American commercial diver and an IMCA/HSE qualified commercial diver.

You will not start out diving mixed gas as a commercial diver, unless you are working for an un-ethical contractor with no experience.

Your just across the pond from the Commercial Diving Academy in Jacksonville, FL. Start your career in Underwater Welding and Commercial Diving today - Commercial Diving Academy

You could get your commercial diving certification there. Your Divemaster certification will be of no value in the commercial diving industry.

It take money to play the game, so you will have to get a commercial diver cert somewhere.

Good luck.

My two cents, which hasn't changed, so pardon me for the guys who have heard me say this time and time again.

The commercial diving industry is terrible right now for those graduating from school. It has been for the last couple of years. Gone are the days when right out of school you could make $20 bucks per hour. There are 10'ish + schools that are pumping 20-30 students out every single month. Not counting this month, or the month before, or the month before, and so on and so on and so on.... there were about 2300 Commercial Divers out of work. These are the guys like me who have 10+ years experience and have proven themselves in the industry. How hard do you think someone right out of dive school is going to have finding a job?

Ok, but a good hurricane season could really change all of that. Pre-Katrina a diver right out of school going to the Gulf of Mexica was making $8/hour. Two weeks after Katrina a diver right out of school was making $20/hour. I pray daily that a hurricane wipes out the gulf. I could use the income.

So, lets say you want to risk the 20k+ (and it's actually closer to 30k now). Do you want/have a nice family life with wife, kids, dog, etc? I'd bet your first divorce attorney's fees that you can't be an active commercial diver and stay married. I know literally hundreds of Commercial Divers, yet I know less than 5 that are happily married and not an alcoholic. It's no coincidence that if you look in the phone book Diver is right next to Divorce.

But, lets say, this is your dream, and you are going to do it anyway... Best of luck to you. Work your hardest. And NEVER let someone talk you into doing something you don't feel is safe. Because I promise you, they (the contractors/dive supes) will certainly try to and it just might kill you.

^thanks for your 2 cents superlyte, ive read that it is difficult to find a job in the industry but its the same story everywhere, students fresh out of college with a masters degree are having trouble finding jobs there's no doubt about it, one of my passions is being underwater and I am interested in expanding my knowledge in a different more rewarding field in the diving industry and from the post you wrote, I think I read that some there, dunno if you posted it there too. I live in an area that is constantly undergoing hurricane scares every summer round as far as I know and I've lived through a few bad ones I wouldn't mind contributing my skills on fixing the damages caused by such forces of nature.

Not too many oil rigs in PR though :)

I wish you luck. :)

Here's a spot where you can do a little more reading up on commercial dive schools:
Commercial Dive Information

Young Memorial is a US school that gives just about the bast bang for the buck when spending your dive school dollars.

Another handy place to look at "prevailing wage rates" is the Davis Bacon wage rate page (organized by state): http://www.gpo.gov/davisbacon/allstates.html
Divers usually come under "carpeneters; piledrivers".

Here's a spot where you can do a little more reading up on commercial dive schools:
Commercial Dive Information

Young Memorial is a US school that gives just about the bast bang for the buck when spending your dive school dollars.

Another handy place to look at "prevailing wage rates" is the Davis Bacon wage rate page (organized by state): Davis-Bacon by State
Divers usually come under "carpeneters; piledrivers".

You are absolutely right, and 20k cheaper than any other school in the US.

Back
Top Bottom