Considering purchasing a MK25/A700 was wondering if I could order the "black" cover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleyrider18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
[h=2] I really like the A700 black tech version but would rather not pay the extra money for a difference in color. Has anyone ordered just the "black" housing to replace their chrome one? If so, about how much money was it? Has anyone tried to paint or powder coat it? I know it may be a silly question but I am fearful of attracting unwanted visitors who are attracted to shiny objects.Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sorry one other question. I live in NY but so far all of my diving has been in the Caribbean. I was considering the DIN version with a YOKE adapter. I read somewhere that some people have had complaints of the regulator hitting them in the back of the head because of the extra length. What are your thoughts? I just like the idea of having the ability to switch back and forth. I understand that the majority of the dive resorts use YOKE and not DIN. Thank you in advance!
[/h]

The case will likely be so expensive as to be not viable, unless you are rolling in cash, in which case you'd just buy the black one to begin with, I don't think that will be an option. I cant see how buying a chrome one and then buying a black case can be cheaper than just buying the black to begin with.

I don't think painting or powder coating is viable either, I'm not sure it can't be done but don't really think its a great idea, powder coating in particular is very thick and will likely cause assembly and functioning issues.

I'm not sure what unwanted attention you are referring to do you mean thieves or aquatic life?

With the things you are considering perhaps you should be looking at a different reg.

re DIN or yoke, yoke is the more common except maybe in Europe and tec circles.

Do you own your own tanks? Or will you at some stage? Do you do lots of travel diving? If so yoke is way more common. What tanks do you rent locally? Why do you want DIN? I'm not a big fan of adapters for the reasons you stated.

Buy the version you are most likely to actually use at this stage unless I've missed something I wouldn't be worried about the maybes.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I have the chrome Mk25/A700 and love it. Save money and get the chrome with DIN. Should you plan on going tech, deep and dark usually go together and finding a chrome reg during a gas switch among your darker gear is easier, also with tech, if you are performing a gas switch DIN is safer, I've seen others with yokes go to turn on their anticipated gas only to unscrew the yoke and separate the first stage from the cylinder. DIN gives you one less bulk knob sticking out to be confused with the valve knob. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom