console versus wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I much prefer a wrist computer. I can leave my equipment at a dive operation and still download my daily dives. I can re-charge the batteries every night. I can be sure that it didn't disappear before my next days dives. I can be sure no one effed with the settings. More - but you get the idea.
My ProPlus3 is on a QD. I can do everything you mentioned except recharge the batteries, but I could replace them if I chose.

Look at the DIR wannabe guy
at least he's got nouse enough to clip his brass n glass to his shoulder D where it can be glanced

Compass reading from a wrist, yeah right!

As to the DIR standardization gear config, I can see many things are not confined
I guess you're new to happy-diver's posts.

I guess I am also new

But I like all the stuff I'm wearing in the photo
Do you think you could point all my indiscretions out to me please eelnoraa

although the long hose is too stiff along with the fins

i seen this has been asked in the past but not since a whole new crop of ia computers have popped .so wrist versus console who likes what

I prefer wrist but the main drawback of the console is the hose is too darn long. A compact console with a shorter hose would be much better. There is no point for a rubber brick to be banged along the reef.

I prefer wrist but the main drawback of the console is the hose is too darn long. A compact console with a shorter hose would be much better. There is no point for a rubber brick to be banged along the reef.
That is why I clip mine off on a retractor. I agree. There is no need for it to dangle.

I tried a wrist computer on one trip and connectivity between the Transmitter and the Computer's receiver kept getting lost. Every time that I wanted to check something on the computer, I had to wait till the two components established connectivity and then synced. It was simply an annoyance that I didn't need.

Your experience is the exception, not the rule. Most AI computers lose signal rarely if at all during the dive. I use an older Oceanic VT Pro and if the signal is lost once during a dive it's unusual and most likely due to me crossing my arms over my chest. In which case the computer shows the last pressure reading and once I straighten out my arms the signal returns immediately. I've never lost it more than a few seconds. Given your experience I understand why you don't use AI but a different computer would have solved that issue.

I will never understand why divers would chose a console which adds bulk and requires reaching out, grabbing it and often turning or pulling it into a position where it can be read- whereas the wrist computer is a simple flick of the wrist- I mean with AI everything you need is right there on one gauge- which also gives you dime time remaining based on the most limiting factor. It doesn't get any easier than that.

The reason for wearing the computer on the right is that the left hand may be occupied with adding or dumping gas. How is a diver supposed to hold the console in his left had to see his depth and and the same time use that hand to adjust it if necessary?

The reason for wearing the computer on the right is that the left hand may be occupied with adding or dumping gas. How is a diver supposed to hold the console in his left had to see his depth and and the same time use that hand to adjust it if necessary?

Well, I wear my AI computer on my right wrist but it wouldn't be a big deal to switch to my left. My Seaquest Balance BCD, like many others, can be vented by a quick tug on the corrugated hose, which takes about a second or two. It's not like my hand is tied up for any length of time.

I by far prefer wrist. I have my data right where I want it without having to maneuver to read. Even nicer with AI.

Maybe there's sarcasm here I don't understand, but are you seriously suggesting wrist PCs contribute to DCI? If so, please post the supporting evidence.

If anything man, dive computers shorten dives and lessen enjoyment due to
overfutzzing no, but what I'm talking about is having something too tight on
your wrists forearms retarding nitrogen offgas from your hands during deco
then permitting a sudden rush having taken your bungied accoutrements off

and you don't even need to wear a tinfoil hat to understand that

So with a perdix on one side, and then a deco slate on the other

full.jpg

you then clip your console to your chest, wasting underwater for all the rest
full.jpg

then off you go you just look down and there you go ho ho ho oh

and only unclip and hold it away aways from your head for compassing

because you went down there to look, but not at all the stuff you took.

Every dive is a decompression dive!

Back
Top Bottom