Console vs. Wrist Mounted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started out with wrist mounts and moved to a console. It pretty much comes down to personal preference. Try out both ways and see which one you like.

There used to be available form ScubaPro and several other companies a variety of consoles which you could install your own instruments into. They came in several styles with both two and three positions. The ScubaPro version was excellent, very compact and easily fit many instruements. While most of the time I wear my instruments and watch on my wrists sometimes I use the ScubaPro console. Since it is on about a 20 inch hose it clips to my waist D ring just as easily as the DIR style SPG rigs which I also like and use. Wrist mouting has an advantage not mentioned, versatility, you can mix, match use different insturments as you wish without having to refit your console. Consoles on long dangling hoses banging into the reef are a no-no. Sometimes both methods were togerther, I like my watch on my left wrist and I don't like it being crowded, I keep a compass on my right wrist and that leaves my depth guage and spg on the compact ScubaPro console cliped onmy left hip. I could replace the watch position with a computer/multipurpose instrument.
I doubt the lady was trying to steer you wrong, they just often tend to be very narrow minded as to how things should be done. She probably has no idea of how wrist mounting works in practice. N

Hi sire,

I tried both and I'm glad I did so I could see what suited me. Ask your LDS if you could do the same. I ultimately went with the wrist mounted since I like the fact that my SPG is small and compact. It's no big deal for me to have to check my depth and air at two different places (unless you go air integrated which you could check both from the wrist). But I had to be more aware and careful with the wrist mount since it's an expensive extra piece (leaving it somewhere, rinsing it, storing it, etc).

If you do go with the console, I'd go for a small compact one - you don't need a dangling brick to tell you your depth and pressure (or heading).

Hope that helped!

ae3753:

i'd like to quote myself from the above-refrenced thread:

H2Andy:
i prefer wrist mounted. i can clasp my hands in front of me and look at the
wrist display while hovering or holding position without having to reach down.

my pressure gauge (SPG) is clipped to my left d-ring, and i look at it once in a
while, more often at depth. it works fine for me.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1013025&postcount=6

I have a wrist mounted computer that I wear on my left side and my regular watch on the right (I am right handed so it is easier to play with the buttons). I also have my compass and spg together in a console fashion becasue I already lost a wrist mount compass in the attempt to do my navigation dive for my advanced course.

I am very thrilled with the wrist computer. It is small enough that I can wear as a regular watch if I need to while on vacation and I choose not to take my regular one with me,. Yet is very easy and clear to see under water.

Aside from trying different options you need to decide what fits in your budget. (I could be wrong) Are you planning on using a computer? I know many divers who don't use them I swear by mine and would not dive with out it, it was the best purchase that I ever made. I am on my seconed computer becasue I was not thrilled with it. I now dive with the Mares Nemo and LOVE IT. I just wish it came air integrated with a compass. I really don't know what computers cost becasue I did not shop around aside for needing something with easy buttone in 5-7mm gloves. (first one casued serious problems and aent it back to the store a year later)

When I had to replace my compass, it was cheaper for me to replace my spg at the same time, since I was not going to go wrist mount again for fear of loosing it again. When I did my open water I did not have the oppertunity to try out a computer, I bought mine right after being certified. When I did my advanced I used a computer. I think the best thing for you to do is try out options that suit you. There is a shop near me that allows people to try out gear wether it is a mask, fins computer ect before buying them. Scuba gear is expensive and you want to make sure the item you buy works for you and suits your diving purposes. I have made that mistake one too many times.

Good luck and have fun on the AOW

I've done it both ways but find the wrist mounts easier to use. Consider, its the end of the dive and you are ascending the anchor line. Its surgie, and you want to ascend slowly and make a safety stop

Hand over hand up the line, you have one hand kinda busy with the bc deflate, maybe a camara in the other, and both on the anchor line. I find a glance at the wrist mounted depth gage (actually an air integrated computer now...) easier than grabing the console and checking. Besides I am getting older and my vision isn't what it used to be, but I always know where my wrists are...

Some people manage to make their consoles, sit conviently on their chest, but I always have lights, spare lights and other stuff there already. I rarely check my SPG (though i have one) as the tank info is on my wrist computer too. Remember you may have a depth gauge, a compass, a SPG, and a watch. Most likely the watch will end on you wrist anyway. I often don't carry a compass and sometimes carry a timer with split timing instead of the watch. I don't want to rearange the console.

good luck and have fun diving

I have a console for backup , stuck in waist band, and use a Sony Vytec on
wrist most of the time, leaves both hands free for whatever.

__

Another vote for wrist mount. I started with the console, but found that the wrist mount worked better my type of diving. As other people have stated, ask your LDS if you can try different types, or other people at your dive site. Ask around, and try each type out. Just pick the one that you grow into as your diving styles might change.

In OW training we were given wrist computers for our checkout dives. They failed to tell us that a wrist computer is easier to use if you put in on your right wrist (because your left arm is venting your B.C. on ascent). So I decided I didn't like the wrist computer. When I bought my gear, I bought console units for both me and my wife. After about 35 dives with the console (which I didn't mind), I converted myself console based computer and compass to a wrist based computer and compass (due to future aspirations of getting into technical diving). After diving with the wrist computer on my right arm for about 12 dives, I can definitely say I like it better. But it's purely personal preference.

Most technical divers use wrist computers to help eliminate the footprint of a console being drug through the water. Even when I used a console, I would still end up holding the console in my right hand so that I could more easily vent my B.C. as I ascended. The use of a wrist computer just eliminates hooking and unhooking the console or using a retractor.

I had the Aeris Atmos 2 console with SPG, computer, compass and knife all in one unit. I got a new boot for the SPG, and wrist straps for the compass and computer for less than $50. So for a minimal investment, it may be possible to convert from console to a wrist based system depending upon the equipment you buy.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom