Console vs. Wrist Mounted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a wrist-mounted computer. The reason I bought it was that the numbers it displays are much larger than the numbers on any of the other computers (wrist or console) that the LDS sold. (Even with the bifocal inserts on my mask, I found the numbers displayed by computers I had previously rented to be very difficult to read.)

I originally intended to wear it on my right wrist in order to reserve my left hand for controlling buoyancy. However, I discovered that my left eye is my dominant eye (even though I am right-handed), making it more difficult to read the display when it is on my right wrist.

In other words, the specifics of which type of computer to buy and where to wear it will be different for every diver. In addition, an individual diver may change the configuration depending on the kind of diving they'll be doing. if possible, try out fdifferent configuartions (by renting or borrowing) before purchasing. And once you've purchased, remember that it is OK to change your opinion and preferences based on your own actual dive experience.

Sirelroka:
I am a novice diver who recently signed up for AOW and am looking at buying some basic gear. I was at a dive shop recently chatting about what I might want and the lady there seemed to be making a concerted effort to steer me away from any wrist mounted gauges (compass, computer). I was leaning toward both being wrist mounted. She wasn't very clear about why I should go with a console, but I got the feeling she was saying it would be confusing to have both on your
wrist(s). My reason for wanting wrist mounted was less console clunkiness and ease of looking at them. Does anyone have any suggestions about which way to go and why?

As always, I appologize if this has been covered before. I searched the forums and didn't find what I was looking for. If it exists, please feel free to point me in the correct direction.
I have both on my wrist, although sometimes I wish I had my compass on my SPG for simplicity sake.

I like have my dive info handy on my wrist during SI and logging.

Also my SPG has very basic dials (not led) readouts for a very good reason.

Sirelroka:
I am a novice diver who recently signed up for AOW and am looking at buying some basic gear. I was at a dive shop recently chatting about what I might want and the lady there seemed to be making a concerted effort to steer me away from any wrist mounted gauges (compass, computer). I was leaning toward both being wrist mounted. She wasn't very clear about why I should go with a console, but I got the feeling she was saying it would be confusing to have both on your
wrist(s). My reason for wanting wrist mounted was less console clunkiness and ease of looking at them. Does anyone have any suggestions about which way to go and why?

As always, I appologize if this has been covered before. I searched the forums and didn't find what I was looking for. If it exists, please feel free to point me in the correct direction.
I like having a wrist computer that is not air integrated. Reason? What if the batteries die? I like the piece of mind knowing I can just look at an analog spg and get the basics. For the wrist computer, check out the Aeris Atmos 2, they are phasing them out so they are really affordable now.

Wrist or console, it is down to personal preference. What works for me might not work for anyone else.

I wear an Aladin Smart Pro on my left wrist, with the screen on the inside of my wrist. That way, when I am pootling along the reef with my arms crossed, I can just roll my arm out a few inches and see the screen. Also, the computer is protected if you are surge conditions near a wreck, etc. And if I am holding on to a line in a current doing my stops, I can see the screen without having to move my arm. I also wear my Stinger on my right wrist as a back-up and, if i am doing deco, clear both computers to add an additional safety margin.

I only have a Scubapro mini-SPG, so this is small, compact and clips up on to my BCD out of the way. No point in having a depth gauge, got it on the 'puters.

Mark

I don't have a computer yet, but I'm looking towards a wrist mount with spg/depth console backup. I think it'll be a lot better for me while chasing fish with a gun to have my depth showing right in front of me, so I'll stay out of trouble, and like stated, while holding my gun or a camera and the line while ascending, it's all right there.

--Eddie

Pyrofish:
I just started bug hunting this year and am still thinking about the wrist mount. My LDS' owner said I should go with a console for hunting, but the instructors, who also go after the lobsters, all wear wrist mounts. Just on their left arm. I never found it necessary to put my left arm under the ledge (I'm right handed). I also haven't done battle with any monsters either. Now that I think about it, a lobster as big as my arm would require two hands... I'm still leaning toward wrist mount though. Can't you just change the mount to clip it off to a D-ring if you know you're going after lobsters?

I'm probably buying all of my equipment before the end of the month, and this will likely be my main area of contention....
Jason

When you do come across a large bug you may not be able to secure him with one hand and I have noticed some of the guys that do ware a wrist computer, the face gets beat up, so many of them have done just that, taken there wrist computer and put it on a retract then on a d-ring so they can pull it away from themselves and look.

I just found the all in one console to be more conveniant for me, I'm always checking my presure gauge and the computer is right there.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom