Contact lenses and diving -Questions Welcome - by Idocsteve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was borderline Lasek, but due to my corneal thickness (pretty thick, apparently), the Dr felt I would be a good candidate for Lasik

Note to anyone reading that this post above is not a typo. The main difference Between LASIK and LASEK is thickness of the flap which includes corneal stroma tissue in LASIK and only epithelial tissue in LASEK.

Since this correction meets my needs, I am happy to throw on a pair of $20 glasses instead of $500 glasses (or more) when needed. As of my last visit, I have 20/20 in each eye with no astigmatism and I am pretty happy.

It appears you have had an excellent result.

I still suggest a pair of quality Rx reading glasses which are superior to over the counter reading glasses because:

- Rx reading glasses have better optics
- They can be made with antireflective treatments which reduce glare and eyestrain
- The optical centers of the lenses are measured so that they align with the center of your eyes when converging for near, OTC readers use a generic spacing and therefore you are likely to be reading through induced prism which requires your eyes to work harder, and this can decrease reading efficiency and cause eyestrain
- the frames are cheap and difficult to adjust properly
-Rx reading glasses can correct small imbalances between the two eyes and any residual astigmatism that might be present (I know you said you were told you don't have any astigmatism).

I did not know that - thanks!

Via PM and reposted here with permission of the member.

Steve, I have an appointment with my optometrist on tuesday but would like an opinion. I have been having issues with my eyes, for lack of a better term, "jumping". I wear bifocals for most of the work day and when reading at home. Otherwise I have single vision lenses for driving, tv, computer etc. Is it possible that switching between these different scripts can be causing me to strain the muscles of the eyes? I used lined bifocals and am having to always look through or over them at work.

The script in my bifocals is from last summer (Aug 09) the lenses in my single vision are from a year earlier. I don't have the script handy from 08 but there was a small change in it. I have not worn my bifocals all day today and they have really settled down. Again I have an appt but would not mind a little insight if you have any on this.

My response:

Is it possible that switching between these different scripts can be causing me to strain the muscles of the eyes?

Your symptoms of eyes "jumping" are consistent with eyestrain. I would guess you are also getting intermittent blurred vision after reading for a while, and maybe some "heaviness" approaching a headache over your eyes? Either way, you've got an eyestrain situation here and switching between two different Rx's is definitely a factor. I always recommend patients update the Rx's in all eyeglasses that they use, even if rarely, if it's more than just a slight change, for just that reason. The eyes adjust to the new Rx, to the optics, to the natural distortions that are present in eyeglass lenses, and going back and forth between different Rx's can screw around with your visual system.

I used lined bifocals and am having to always look through or over them at work.
What's with the lined bifocals? Progressive multifocals are superior in almost every way, very few patients use flat top or executive style bifocal lenses nowadays, and for good reason.

The script in my bifocals is from last summer (Aug 09) the lenses in my single vision are from a year earlier.I have not worn my bifocals all day today and they have really settled down.
That's very telling..if not wearing your glasses eliminates the symptoms then that's your problem right there. Either it's from switching back and forth, and/or the glasses are out of adjustment so you're not looking through the proper part of the lens and/or your vision has change enough so that the rx is doing more harm than good and/or the Rx wasn't exactly right and it's starting to catch up to you months later. This can also happen if, for example you had some astigmatism when you were last checked, and that has improved somewhat, which results in an over correction and your eyes have to work harder when looking through the lenses. .

From the archives:Help for the optically challenged. [Archive] - ScubaBoard If your 3.5+ plus more look at finding a hydrooptix mask! They are great!

Direct link:Diving Mask -- Welcome To HydroOptix I have used it and it works!
I've been diving and photographing with contacts for years, but now contacts just don't work and I have to wear progressive lens glasses. I am trying to decide whether to get prescription mask or try the Hydrooptix mask. The cover lens and stowing plate seems like a real nuisance, but my vision is in their "naked eye" range, so the mask itself might work. What's been your experience?

Sharon

I've been diving and photographing with contacts for years, but now contacts just don't work and I have to wear progressive lens glasses. I am trying to decide whether to get prescription mask or try the Hydrooptix mask. The cover lens and stowing plate seems like a real nuisance, but my vision is in their "naked eye" range, so the mask itself might work. What's been your experience?

Sharon

Not sure if you're directing the question at me or to the poster who you quoted, however I know little to nothing about Rx masks as stated in the first post on this thread, which is about contact lenses and vision care questions- it specifically excludes Rx masks.

I'm more curious as to why after diving and photographing with contact lenses for years they "just don't work" anymore.

I recently had a piece of metal and rust ring drilled/scraped out of my eye. How long do I need to wait before scuba diving with mask squeeze effect the healing process?

I recently had a piece of metal and rust ring drilled/scraped out of my eye. How long do I need to wait before scuba diving with mask squeeze effect the healing process?

The cornea heals fast, generally speaking.

How fast depends on how large an area that was affected, more by the removal process than the size of the object, and how deep.

In most cases the cornea is fully healed within a few days, however there's no way I can say for certain what effects scuba diving might have on a recently injured cornea.

I'd give it at least a week, possibly more.

This next bit of advice is being offered as a diver, not an eye doctor:

While diving take extra care to equalize your mask by blowing out through your nose as necessary to avoid mask squeeze.

I wear RGP contacts while diving. I get blurry / foggy vision after dives deeper than about 50 feet (especiallly the first dive of the day). This fogging only appears as I shallow less than 15 feet. It take about 45 min. to resolve. This happens regardles of ascent time/rate or use of deco gas. It is not alleviated by changing the lenses out after the dive. I have read 2 different explanations for this, nitrogen bubbles being trapped under the lens diffudsing into the cornea, or said nitrogen bubbles causing corneal edema. Have you heard of this problem, and long term effects? I have had this recurrent issue for the past 12 years, but always have a normal exam by opthalmologist (othe than being a high myopic greater than 12 diopeters)

Last edited:
Via pm, personal identifying information removed:

I have a -1.5 correction -- do the magnification properties of water obviate lenses? thx.

My response

-1.50 diopters of myopia (nearsightedness) isn't all that much, and the uncorrected distance visual acuity is typically in the range of 20/40 to 20/80 in such patients.

The magnification isn't going to clear up the blur. Everything will be bigger but still blurred. That much said, it's possible that the blur won't be a significant factor depending on your own sensitivity to blur, pupil size, how far you tend to fixate underwater, visibility conditions, that sort of thing.

All I can tell you is to give it a try and if the vision is acceptable to you then great, if not consider contact lenses or an Rx mask option.

I wear RGP contacts while diving. I get blurry / foggy vision after dives deeper than about 50 feet (especiallly the first dive of the day). This fogging only appears as I shallow less than 15 feet. It take about 45 min. to resolve.

Corneal edema is fairly common and indicates an underlying problem, and the edema itself can cause long term changes in the cornea including increased astigmatism, greater risk of eye infection, and possibly a permanent decrease in best corrected visual acuity.

My suggestion is to immediately discontinue the use of RGP contact lenses when diving, and switch to either a more permeable RGP material, a looser fit (accomplished by a flatter base curve and/or smaller diameter), to allow greater fluid and oxygen exchange, or switch to soft contact lenses.

Without having examined you, the above advice is considered "general in nature" and something to be discussed with your eyecare professional at your next visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom