Contact lenses and diving -Questions Welcome - by Idocsteve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some off topic conversation/quotes have been removed

Off to the red sea in a few hours and I have one quick question..
How do people handle the actually handling of contacts in areas where the water is contaminated?
The egyptian tapwater as its in the middle of the desert is not exactly drinkable - Is washing your hands using bottled water preferrable to avoid sticking nasties onto your contacts or should you take stricter measures? Or is it "not that bad" to begin with thanks to the solution the contacts are stored in?
I know, shoulda asked the optician when I got them but Im new to this whole getting my vision corrected thing :p

Off to the red sea in a few hours and I have one quick question..
How do people handle the actually handling of contacts in areas where the water is contaminated?
The egyptian tapwater as its in the middle of the desert is not exactly drinkable - Is washing your hands using bottled water preferrable to avoid sticking nasties onto your contacts or should you take stricter measures? Or is it "not that bad" to begin with thanks to the solution the contacts are stored in?
I know, shoulda asked the optician when I got them but Im new to this whole getting my vision corrected thing :p

In most places around the world the tap water is perfectly fine for hand washing, especially if you use plenty of soap. Think about it - you're showering in the same water.

PS - did three dives with my new contact lenses today. Was nice to be able to see my computer even in low-light NJ diving!

:cool2:

Thanks Dr Steve for your counsel and advice - Ray

In most places around the world the tap water is perfectly fine for hand washing, especially if you use plenty of soap. Think about it - you're showering in the same water.

RJP - glad your dives went well - welcome to the wonderful world of contacts.
However, respectfully, there's just one word for your advice for handling contacts after a soap & water wash...

doh_homer_simpson-1084.jpg

NEVER presume that tap-water, even in the USA, is free of microbes that are known to cause eye infections. Before handling contact lenses for ANY reason, always first wash your hands with soap and water, then RINSE with a quick squirt of saline on the tips of your "handling" fingers of your already-washed hands (this also gets rid of soap residue). I do agree with RJP that hand-washing with bottled water is not necessary - but I ALWAYS travel with a small bottle of sterile saline.

The contact lens technician at your eye doctor should have instructed you in this procedure. MANY peer-reviewed medical journal articles detail how tap-water borne pseudomonas-aeruginosa and Acanthamoeba have each caused eye infections. Tap water in the USA is far from sterile, let alone tap water from developing nations. Such infections can become serious, particularly if left untreated for many days; extraordinarily rare cases involving delayed treatment have required corneal transplants.

Of course in the shower, a little water always sprays into your "naked" eyes. But your natural tears will flush out any microbes in a few minutes. However, if microbes are trapped under a contact lens, tears can't flush out the tiny beasties. That said, our corneas are quite robust, and you're not likely to get an infection from trapped microbes unless you also have a scratched cornea + an already impaired immune system (and you probably shouldn't be diving in the first place!).

The protocol of a saline-squirt to your "handling" fingertips is comparable to the timely changing of air compressor filters to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. While bad outcomes may be, arguably, low probability, predictable outcomes have very high consequence.

^ I missed where RJP suggested using tap water for rinsing soft contacts?

I should have excerpted Tigerman's original post / question, #193:
How do people handle the actually handling of contacts in areas where the water is contaminated?...Is washing your hands using bottled water preferrable to avoid sticking nasties onto your contacts or should you take stricter measures? Or is it "not that bad" to begin with thanks to the solution the contacts are stored in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom