Contact lenses and diving -Questions Welcome - by Idocsteve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(I've got Keratoconus OU, with a Right Cornea Transplant x 20yrs) . .

One possible alternative for Keratoconic patients is one of the newer hybrid lenses, which contain an RGP lens in the middle for visual clarity, and a soft contact lens "skirt" that fits under the eyelids for stablility.

I don't know how well this would work in a scuba diving application but it just might be worth looking into.

One possible alternative for Keratoconic patients is one of the newer hybrid lenses, which contain an RGP lens in the middle for visual clarity, and a soft contact lens "skirt" that fits under the eyelids for stablility.

I don't know how well this would work in a scuba diving application but it just might be worth looking into.
Yes I am looking into that. I'm suffering from chronic corneal abrasions from the standard RGP's (and I hate the inconvenience of "piggy-backing" especially when I'm plagued with episodes of the whole soft lens/RGP combo popping out).

Last resort will be Intacs and/or another PKP procedure on my left cornea if it still continues to peak & thin. . .

I have found the best success with the new Acuvue Oasys bifocal contact lens, but the Baush and Lomb multifocal lens is a close second. The latter lens comes in a 1 month extended wear option. Other brands such as Ciba Vision and Coopervision have been somewhat disappointing in my experience but they are viable alternatives for some patients.

I tried a pair of Baush and Lomb multifocal lens, they worked well except they "float" around on my eye. Could the Acuve lens be a little different shape and fit my eyes better? I wear Night & Day extended wear contacts without any issues.

I tried a pair of Baush and Lomb multifocal lens, they worked well except they "float" around on my eye. Could the Acuve lens be a little different shape and fit my eyes better? I wear Night & Day extended wear contacts without any issues.

The B&L Multifocal comes in 2 types, the Purevision 1 month extended wear lens, and the Soflens, which is approved for up to 1 week extended wear and up to 1 month replacement.

The Purevision bifocal comes in only one base curve but the Soflens comes in 8.5 and 8.8 base curves, the 8.5 being the tighter fitting lens. I'd like to think that your eye care practitioner used the tighter curve since there was excessive movement but I won't assume anything. It should have been noted in your record, and it might be a good idea to ask at your next visit.

The Acuvue Oaysys bifocal comes in an 8.4 base curve which is even tighter and will be a closer fit to the Ciba Vision lenses that you are currently wearing, there's a good chance that it will fit you without excess movement.

Originally Posted by Guba
When I explained what I needed in diving and told my eye professional that neither eye was completely dominant

Well, what I specifically told my eye doc was that I had had advanced small arms training in which ambidextrous shooting was required. Therefore, I had experience in shifting focus from one eye to another on short notice and didn't have any trouble with it. Paid off with the contacts, too.

I wish I was as smart as you........:), if you need any 2nd opinions, please feel free to ask, my cyber consultation fees are pretty low..........lol....good luck with this thread..I'm gunna check back in from time to time to see if I can incorporate any of yur 'ideas' into my eye doctor practice....

+1 on the Lasik- no issues at all.

I do have a question though, my near vision is not very good because I'm 50 plus. I use readers (+1.15) in my mask, which works great for gages but not for photography. Do you think correcting only my non-dominant eye via contacts (and losing the prescription readers) would allow me to focus better when the camera up close?

+1 on the Lasik- no issues at all.

I do have a question though, my near vision is not very good because I'm 50 plus. I use readers (+1.15) in my mask, which works great for gages but not for photography. Do you think correcting only my non-dominant eye via contacts (and losing the prescription readers) would allow me to focus better when the camera up close?

+1.15 is an unusual number, not one that is ever used in optometry/opticianry. Dioptric values are in .25 steps. As I have said, I don't know much about dive masks as we don't handle them, but I suspect a typo in your post.

Correcting your nondominent eye for reading with a contact lens is a viable option, in fact quite often the nondominant eye is surgically corrected for reading during LASIK. I ALWAYS suggest that patients considering this option try it with a contact lens before making a permanent change in the shape of their eyes.

Assuming you're in your low 50s and you have no significant residual prescription for distance, a contact lens of about +1.75 should be adequate for near point work, and to focus on the camera itself... but as far as the subject goes...it depends on the distance of the object you're focusing on. You'd need something less than that amount of power in the contact lens as the object you are focusing on is further away. +1.00 might be sufficient for objects in the 6 foot range. This is something that can easily be tested and "tweaked" in the exam room, but it will be quite helpful to know the distance to which you need to be corrected when you have the contact lens fitted.

Large diameter soft lenses are much less likely to be displaced from the eyeball than their smaller RGP (Rigid Gas Permeable) lens counterparts and the diameter of the lens isn't the only reason. Your friend might consider having some disposable soft contacts available for diving, if he is able to wear those lenses.

I've read countless stories on this board and elsewhere about swimmers and divers keeping their eyes open and not losing their soft lenses.

3 caveats come to mind:

1- The larger the lens (approaching 15.0mm diameter), the better, because more of the lens will be held under the upper lids.

2 -Lenses that are exposed to seawater or poolwater should be removed and disinfected, and not worn overnight.

3- Try it out on a test pair if possible so you know what's gonna happen in the event of a mask flood. Disposable lenses make this task much easier.

I deliberately tried to wash out soft contacts and couldn't do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom