ContourRoam with Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vimaldude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering buying the ContourRoam with UW case but it doesn't have any place to fix a filter.

Has anyone tried attaching a filter to the UW case (either inside or outside)?
What are my options?

Does a filter make that much of a difference in video quality?

Thanks.

I am trying to figure out how to do this myself. I saw this listing on eBay and figure I can make my own. I bought some Calumet polyster filters that I plan on cutting to size to try. I just need to figure out the best way to install them.

I am trying to figure out how to do this myself. I saw this listing on eBay and figure I can make my own. I bought some Calumet polyster filters that I plan on cutting to size to try. I just need to figure out the best way to install them.

As long as you cut the filter to the correct size, you just drop in into the housing port. It sits in between the GoPro lens and the housing. If you cut the filter too small, it will not cover the full video frame when you record. If you cut the filter too big, the filter will get stuck in the housing port and be difficult to remove.

I believe I used a penny or dime as a template when I cut my filter for my GoPro 1 housing.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know how it turns out.
Can you provide some info on the type of filter that you are planning to use?

As long as you cut the filter to the correct size, you just drop in into the housing port. It sits in between the GoPro lens and the housing. If you cut the filter too small, it will not cover the full video frame when you record. If you cut the filter too big, the filter will get stuck in the housing port and be difficult to remove.

I believe I used a penny or dime as a template when I cut my filter for my GoPro 1 housing.

Thanks, Ron. This is what I plan to do, but in this case the video camera is the ContourRoam and not a GoPro. It should work the same, I imagine. Being the obsessive compulsive perfectionist I am, I am trying to figure out how to make the cleanest, most precise cut of the proper diameter.

Thanks, Ron. This is what I plan to do, but in this case the video camera is the ContourRoam and not a GoPro. It should work the same, I imagine. Being the obsessive compulsive perfectionist I am, I am trying to figure out how to make the cleanest, most precise cut of the proper diameter.

Find something round that has a similar diameter as the housing port, for a template. A quarter, poker chip, medicine bottle cap, etc.. Cut filter with a razor knife.

I've had good results with a pink filter in tropical waters. Are using magenta for local diving in your area ?

Last edited:
I don't know how to attach a filter to your contour housing but here is an example of what a filter does with gopro video which is a fairly similar cam to the contours.

Filters do work wonders to GoPro footage so there's no reason why they wouldn't do the same with a contour. The gopro tends to lose most red colours around the 4-5m mark at which point filters make a huge difference up to around 20m but depending on water clarity conditions you may still get a fair benefit over not using a filter down to around 30m.

Here is a little gopro test video I made comparing it with and without filters this is using HD1 and HD2 cams I'm not sure exactly where the contour roam would fit against these 2 cams. The main difference ive noticed in these gopro cams is the HD2 has better low light results which does give it a good boost when used underwater. Having never used a contour or even seen raw UW video from one I don't know how they'd compare.

The first half of this GoPro HD1 and HD2 underwater test video is all without filters at a depth of 2.5m the second half from 1:54 is at 4.5m depth with a URpro swcy filter on the HD1 and HD2 along with a HD2 that has no filter.

[video=youtube;ThWjQpYrJMk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThWjQpYrJMk&list=UU95p30Zv_7lZvkUwn1MuyoQ& index=2&feature=plcp[/video]

This will show you how big a difference a filter can make to one of these action type cams, this particular filter is just shallow water filter designed to work best at 5m or shallower but you'd get the same sort of results in deeper dives with a standard cyan filter. A standard Cyan filter will tend to be too red at depths above 5m which is the advantage of the shallow water filter, but I made this test as I had 2 of these filters available but only 1 regular cyan so its the only way I could compare both gopro's side by side.

I measured the inside of the lens port on the ContourRoam UW housing, and it is 1.5" in diameter. I found a template to print 1.5" circles, and with it one can cut out 5 filters from a 3"x3" sheet. I am planning on using the magenta for my upcoming trip to Hawaii, and I figure I can stack (2 or 3 tops) them if needed. I plan on using a red filter here in the Puget Sound when diving local.

I measured the inside of the lens port on the ContourRoam UW housing, and it is 1.5" in diameter. I found a template to print 1.5" circles, and with it one can cut out 5 filters from a 3"x3" sheet. I am planning on using the magenta for my upcoming trip to Hawaii, and I figure I can stack (2 or 3 tops) them if needed. I plan on using a red filter here in the Puget Sound when diving local.

You might want to try a slightly smaller diameter . It will make it easier to install/remove the filter.

Stacking color filters can cut out too much light. I would bring the red filter to Hawaii. Red or pink is generally recommended for clear tropical water.

Back
Top Bottom