Controlling and reducing air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is interesting to breathe out through an O2 sensor. The longer you hold the breath the lower the expired O2 level. I'm certain that the longer you hold the breath the higher the CO2 level. So within reason holding your breath does give you more O2 in and more CO2 out for the same amount of air breathed.

No offense, but you are not capable of asking the right questions to get the right answers. In recreational scuba, you are not doing any work; in fact, you hardly move, so your fitness level is completely irrelevant overall.

Unless you are dead, you are always "doing work" with regards to cardiovascular activity. You are breathing to fuel muscular activity and metabolic functions. Why don't you understand that? Scuba diving involves swimming, an aerobic activity. It doesn't matter that good divers minimize the amount of physical exertion they use to dive, it's still exertion.

No offense, but you are not capable of asking the right questions to get the right answers. In recreational scuba, you are not doing any work; in fact, you hardly move, so your fitness level is completely irrelevant overall. The level of workout on a dive is about the same as walking slowly in a museum from one painting to another. You don't even need to bend up and down, like when you pull out weeds in your garden, or push the Hoover when you clean your house. Therefore, the experiments that you suggested, i e running, walking up the stairs, etc are also irrelevant. If you've asked the wrong question, the answer does not matter. So yes, diving is different because it is a lower level of cardiovascular stress.

Now, back to air consumption, putting the word "proof" in quotes won't help your case because my wife who loathed endurance exercise all her life, will outbreathe you on a dive, despite all your triathlons and crossfits. You will come up with 500 and she will come up with a solid 1000. I will come up with a 1000 too, but for a different reason. To understand why, all you need is to ask the right questions...
Geez, even if we bought into your wacky premise that there is no work involved in recreational scuba, it is a FACT that a really fit person will have a lower resting heart and respiration rate so they would still use less air!!

Or maybe you meant work as in a job? In that case, you are right and, for most, recreational diving does not involve work so fitness is irrelevant. :confused:Lol!

Fit people don't really have a lower resting heart rate (somewhat but its a matter of 50 or 60), they simply get from elevated to resting faster. Heart rate is gonna jump on exertion no matter what, but a fitter person will be back to baseline faster.

Well, look on the bright side, you are no longer working.:D

Please don't tempt or provoke me..........I have seen heaven and it's equally boring........I will quietly expire now....
I mean't respire...good luck with yer SB endevores

Fit people don't really have a lower resting heart rate (somewhat but its a matter of 50 or 60), they simply get from elevated to resting faster. Heart rate is gonna jump on exertion no matter what, but a fitter person will be back to baseline faster.
I disagree and the American Heart Association and many other reputable sources agree:

“For most of us, between 60 and 100 beats per minute (bpm) is normal. The rate can be affected by factors like stress, anxiety, hormones, medication, and how physically active you are. An athlete or more active person may have a resting heart rate as low as 40 beats per minute. Now that’s chill!”

What you said about a fit person getting to an elevated HR slower with exertion and getting back to resting from elevated faster is true!

I disagree and the American Heart Association and many other reputable sources agree:

“For most of us, between 60 and 100 beats per minute (bpm) is normal. The rate can be affected by factors like stress, anxiety, hormones, medication, and how physically active you are. An athlete or more active person may have a resting heart rate as low as 40 beats per minute. Now that’s chill!”

Here is the thing though, that statement is so vague. An athlete "may" have a resting heart rate as low as 40? Can we also assume someone who is not an athlete can have a resting heart rate as low as 40? Sure we can.

Also some people with low heart rates can actually have cardio vascular issues.

“This may be the result of the electrical nodes of the heart aging, or not transmitting electrical signals correctly,” says Dr. Wasfy. “You should report these symptoms to your health care provider.”

So on the other side some athletes will not have that low of a RHR, because it depends on the type of physical activity they typically perform, for instance high intensity exercise seems to lower RHR much more than low intensity exercise does.

So where does that leave the tennis player (athlete)? Will he have as low as a RHR rate of a sprinter? Probably not. Are the both in good cardio vascular health? Yes they are. So I guess my point is RHR is extremely general and the amount of time it takes you to get back to resting is a far better measurement of your cardio vascular health.

We aimed to investigate the effects of endurance training intensity (1) on systolic blood pressure (SBP) and heart rate (HR) at rest before exercise, and during and after a maximal exercise test; and (2) on measures of HR variability at rest before exercise and during recovery from the exercise test, in at least 55-year-old healthy sedentary men and women. A randomized crossover study comprising three 10-week periods was performed. In the first and third period, participants exercised at lower or higher intensity (33% or 66% of HR reserve) in random order, with a sedentary period in between. Training programmes were identical except for intensity, and were performed under supervision thrice for 1 h per week. The results show that in the three conditions, that is, at rest before exercise, during exercise and during recovery, we found endurance training at lower and higher intensity to reduce SBP significantly (P<0.05) and to a similar extent. Further, SBP during recovery was, on average, not lower than at rest before exercise, and chronic endurance training did not affect the response of SBP after an acute bout of exercise. The effect of training on HR at rest, during exercise and recovery was more pronounced (P<0.05) with higher intensity. Finally, endurance training had no significant effect on sympathovagal balance. In conclusion, in participants at higher age, both training programmes exert similar effects on SBP at rest, during exercise and during post-exercise recovery, whereas the effects on HR are more pronounced after higher intensity training.

https://www.nature.com/articles/jhh200951

Until your RHR gets up to 80 you are at no greater risk of a cardiovascular event than someone at 40.

For example, a 2013 study in the journal Heart tracked the cardiovascular health of about 3,000 men for 16 years and found that a high RHR was linked with lower physical fitness and higher blood pressure, body weight, and levels of circulating blood fats. The researchers also discovered that the higher a person’s RHR, the greater the risk of premature death. Specifically, an RHR between 81 and 90 doubled the chance of death, while an RHR higher than 90 tripled it.

Elevated resting heart rate, physical fitness and all-cause mortality: a 16-year follow-up in the Copenhagen Male Study

Geez, even if we bought into your wacky premise that there is no work involved in recreational scuba, it is a FACT that a really fit person will have a lower resting heart and respiration rate so they would still use less air!!

Or maybe you meant work as in a job? In that case, you are right and, for most, recreational diving does not involve work so fitness is irrelevant. :confused:Lol!

The really fit person may use less oxygen, but not necessarily less air. Air consumption is more closely tied to breathing rate. While it is true that someone who uses oxygen more efficiently is likely to have a lower breathing rate, it is not a given.

Back
Top Bottom