controlling the INON Z240

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InonChart.png

Most cameras, compact or even mirrorless, have similar operating functions due to the constraints of various mechanical, electronic and real requirements. This chart is correct for the Inon strobes.

The Z240 behaves like the D2000 (except when using wired TTL) but instead of a magnetic activated switch, it has a regular selector switch that does the same thing.

N

Last edited:
Part of the confusion that will occur in this discussion is the model of Inon strobes that we have. My D-2000 strobes have magnets that you actually install or remove. I am not sure, but I think that the S-2000 has the removable magnets like the D-2000. The current model Z-240 has a push button that performs the same function. I'm not sure if the Z-240 has always had a push button, or if older versions had removable magnets.

My camera is an Olympus E-M5. I think the E-M5 does emit a pre-flash. I do not fully understand whether I need the D-2000 magnets installed or not installed with the E-M5 camera. I have never used the D-2000 strobes with the magnets installed.

Do I need the magnets installed or not installed with the E-M5 camera?

Do I need the magnets installed or not installed with the E-M5 camera?
I have the E-M5 and Z240s. I run the camera in A auto mode with TTL strobe (WA shooting). I have the preflash magnet switch out. Works pretty well.

If you bother to understand the chart it will answer your question. Of course to understand your camera manual, the modes which provide pre-flash always by default, modes in which pre-flash is selectable and modes where there is never a pre-flash will therin be described. Then configure the S/D2000 accordingly.

N

Last edited:
The E-M5 is my third Olympus camera. I started with a C-5050, next had an E-PL1 and now the E-M5. I read the camera manuals cover to cover for all of them. I understand the camera pretty well. I shoot primarily in aperture, or shutter mode topside, depending on the lens, lighting and subject. I almost always use the camera in manual mode diving. I have used my Inon D-2000 strobes with all three cameras with good results.

I know the E-M5 camera emits a pre-flash, but I don't know if it does with all flash settings. The instruction manual does not tell. With the camera set to fill flash exposure is good with my Inon D-2000 strobes set to STTL or Low setting. When I tried setting the camera flash to 1/64 to extend camera battery life, exposures were dark with the strobes set to STTL or Low, even when I rotate the exposure control knob counter clockwise to a stronger/brighter setting.

I am trying to figure out if I need the magnets installed in the D-2000 strobes to operate them in manual (-0.5 to 6) setting with the E-M5 flash set to 1/64.

I have read the Inon instruction manuals and they are terrible. They are poorly translated to English. Even if the translation was better, they would still be difficult to understand because they don't explain how the different modes operate very well. Olympus instruction manuals aren't great, and certainly don't give any specific information about using them in an underwater housing with strobes.

Most things are somewhat simple after you learn how they work. Sometimes the learning process can be confusing.

Think about what the camera would use a pre-flash for. No, it does not preflash in all modes and in some modes it is selectable.

Set up in front of a mirror and try every possible mode and combination. Pick a rainy afternoon.

When you select sTTL on the D2000 the magnet does not matter.

N

Last edited:
Inon's manual is pretty much useless. After using my strobes and getting confused by all the settings, I searched high and low on internet about the strobe and finally come across some good explanations on the operations of the strobes at Inon site.

INON Technical Guide [Feature of INON Technology]

I think the articles explain quite well on all the different shooting modes.

I have a z240 and a z220, and although my setup gives me less options than others, I find best results are with both strobes set to manual full output and camera set to manual. Adjust aperture for subject exposure, shutter speed for background exposure, dial the strobes back 1/2 a stop if really necessary (seldom required). Find the flexibility of the z240 is overkill for me :)

Should be noted I guess that my setup is a Pentax DSLR with wired (non-TTL) strobe, hence not much option for automatic exposure modes :)

INON NEWS: Compatibility with Olympus OM-D E-M5/PT-EP08

http://www.inon.jp/pdf-dl/_userdata/SystemTable-EN.pdf

I found these two links on the Inon website. I don't think my Olympus E-M5 camera is compatible with the Inon D-200 when I have the camera flash set to 1/64. The 1/64 flash setting is used by many divers to save camera battery life by reducing the duration of the flash. Apparently they must be using the 1/64 flash setting with other brands of strobes. The E-M5 must not emit a pre-flash with the 1/64 flash setting.

The Inon system table notes *C says 'S-TTL Auto mode is not usable when built-in / bundled flash is set to (Slave) (Manual) (Manual Flash) (Flash Adjust Manual)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom