Conversion course to SSI from PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltynay

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wish to do a conversion course to SSI once I am a PADI staff instructor, how would I go about achieving this and what hurdles would I need to overcome?

This may be a dumb question for me to ask but why would you not just go with SSI? Is thier not a SSI near you? It seems easier than doing a conversion course later on, if one even exisits. :D

I am already an intern with a PADI course and paid fully up front + I think having the training of both agencies would broaden my background knowledge thus making me a better diver and instructor.

I am already an intern with a PADI course and paid fully up front + I think having the training of both agencies would broaden my background knowledge thus making me a better diver and instructor.

That sounds good. If certified with both agencies as an instructor it will be easier to find work and even relocate if you want to.

You understand that unlike PADI, if you want to be a working SSI instructor you have to be affiliated with a shop, right?

Disregard if you already knew that.

I already knew that but was unsure exactly what it means and how a shop would become affiliated i.e. I was working at an SSI shop as an SSI instructor (although still PADI certified) and a group of customers walk in wanting to learn how to dive by the PADI system would I still be able to process them through the store or would the store have to be exclusively SSI operated. Is it upto the store owners discretion?

Another thing to think about as I see you mentioned wanting the staff instructor rating is if you have aspirations to Course Director you are limited to having only issued PADI certifications. (pages 49 and 51 General Standards and Procedures)

Really no need to become as SSI instructor ,unless working for a SSI facility.If you are to be hired by a SSI facility,that facility would make the necessary arrangements.If what you wish for is to be certified by multiple agencies then you may want to look at Naui.
I have had NASDS/SSI/PADI certifications,at the different facilities I taught at,and have made the most $$ and had the best opportunities teaching with PADI.

Thankyou for your replies you have given me some definite food for thought.

I teach both PADI and SSI. I started as SSI instructor, moved to a location away from my affiliated shop so had to do a PADI crossover course. Sort of the reverse of what you are doing. I was able to arrange a crossover course for about half the price of a full instructor course. No major issues during the training. Mask clearing is mask clearing. There are of course small variations in standards etc that you have to keep straight.

Some things to be aware of.

Many shops offer you discount liability insurance in an umbrella policy for the shop. An SSI shop that does is is very unlikely to cover your PADI teaching liability. You may end up having to get your own. I did this with IMS and have both PADI and SSI on the policy.

My SSI shop would not take kindly to me robbing potential students to train them privately as a PADI instructor. It is a fine ethical line. It is best to keep things honest in regards to any private PADI instruction you do while with an SSI shop.

Paying dues to two organizations each year cuts into the profit margin. In regards to PADI, having to constantly pay for endless instructional updates is a drain for me. I am being a bit facetious, but I pay far less to SSI to stay an instructor.

I can teach Divemasters as a PADI instructor. I would have to get additional qualification (for more $$) to do the same as an SSI Divecon instructor.

I sometimes look at the costs of maintaining both certs and wonder about it. I have had a year where I did not teach a single PADI and thus those costs were solely to maintain the instructor teaching status with no income. To reduce, you could consider being in a sustaining status if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom