Converting Apeks 1/2" to DIR 3/8" Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaustad once bubbled...
Rich,

I'm a newbie, and not considering DIR, but it seems that having the second readily available around my neck and being able to pass a long hosed primary to my buddy is safest setup. That said, I'm curious how you dealt with the long length of the orginal hose for use as a necklaced second. Could you describe in a little more detail what you mean by a "quick loop" over your shoulder. I am also curious as to whether the 7' 3/8" hose is connected to the left or right side of the first stage. I am using the 3/8" on the right side for my drysuit hose. If its on the left do you route the 7' hose down and across the plate to get it on the right?
A picture is worth 1000 words:

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/OW_rig2_r.jpeg

That's not my rig... I use the TX100 1st and 2nd stages.

I route the backup reg just as you would run a normal short-hose primary, except it's bungee'd around my neck so it doesn't go anywhere. It comes off of the 1/2" port (closest to my head).

The long hose comes from the 3/8" port directly behind the 1/2" port. It runs down along side the plate, under my canister light, across my chest, around behind my head, and over my right shoulder into my mouth. If I'm not using the canister (which is rare now that I have the small one), then I pull it across and tuck it under my knife. Failing that, the excess hose can be tucked into the belt.
Understanding that you have no interest in the DIR or "tech" configuration, you could still address the long hose with a conventional BCD by dropping to either a 5' hose or even a standard "octo" hose and routing them under your right arm. The 5' hose would continue the same as the 7' from this point, while the 40" hose would go directly to you.
NOTE that in the image above, the "long hose" is a 40" "octo" hose. I do a lot of dense kelp diving here in SoCal, so a single-file exit to a clear overhead may be needed in the event of an OOA situation and the 7' hose would be a big advantage.

Okay.

Left side.
The 3/8" port closest to my head goes to the wing inflator, as in the image above.
The rear 3/8" port is my drysuit inflator, which goes under my arm and into the suit. Make sure the drysuit inflator hose does not trap the 5' or 7' hose as it crosses your chest!

As far as being a newbie not considering DIR, why not? It's not exclusive to tech diving. In fact, I'm a relative newbie and have never been in a cave or deeper than 120ft.
Take a look at this article
http://www.scubadivernet.com/articles/mhk01.html
Pretty much sums up what DIR is and is not. You might be surprised at how DIR you may already be.

gaustad once bubbled...
Rich,

I'm a newbie, and not considering DIR, but it seems that having the second readily available around my neck and being able to pass a long hosed primary to my buddy is safest setup. That said, I'm curious how you dealt with the long length of the orginal hose for use as a necklaced second. Could you describe in a little more detail what you mean by a "quick loop" over your shoulder. I am also curious as to whether the 7' 3/8" hose is connected to the left or right side of the first stage. I am using the 3/8" on the right side for my drysuit hose. If its on the left do you route the 7' hose down and across the plate to get it on the right?

Go to http://www.fifthd.com/classinfo/dirrec.html and look at the S-drill video. Then look at the pics at [ur]http://www.sfdj.com/fall/beyond2.html[/url]. Should clear it up. Basically it goes under your arm, behind your neck, and around the right side of your head into your mouth. It's connected to the diver's right of the first stage.. same place your primary usually is.

Back
Top Bottom