converting .mdb log files to Smart Trak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Horn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Is there any way to upload other dive logs to Smart Trak as in convert the data from *.mdb to *.slg???

I don't think so, but you may be able to export it to an intermediate format that you could then import.

Working on that,

Thought I could export as a text file from Dive log 4.0 then import to Data trak as a Mares *.txt file and then from that to a .log file etc etc..

Wrote Scubapro to see if they would even convert my log so I don't have to run several programs but I may just print off the old dives into hard copy and start over.

I can see the point of not wanting to share out technology but for legitimate purposes it should be a-ok...........ah well

SmartTrak uses an MDB file. I believe it's just renamed to slg.

You can find the password for it by doing a little googling, however the schema is so bizarre that it would be a significant amount of work to do anything useful with the file.

Terry

The Horn:
Working on that,

Thought I could export as a text file from Dive log 4.0 then import to Data trak as a Mares *.txt file and then from that to a .log file etc etc..

Wrote Scubapro to see if they would even convert my log so I don't have to run several programs but I may just print off the old dives into hard copy and start over.

I can see the point of not wanting to share out technology but for legitimate purposes it should be a-ok...........ah well

An .mdb file is an Access database file so you might be able to read it using Access and then export it as a comma-delimited text file. Which you may be able to then import into Smart Trak in some way(I don't know the s/w)

As someone said, Diving Log and SmartTrak uses both the Microsoft Access format. So with some skills in VBA you would be able to exchange the main data. The reason I can't provide an export function for these specific computer manufacturer formats in Diving Log is, that these formats are always not fully decrypted and that they change over the time and new releases. So I can't make sure that I create a 100% correct formated file and that SmartTrak will read this correctly.

A better solution for data exchange betweed several dive software programs would be, if every software supports import and export of a standardized formats like UDCF or UDDF. I want to include an export and import of both of these formats, so it is up to other programs to support this, too.

Kind regards,
Sven Knoch

Back
Top Bottom