"Converting" my Scout for wife's use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris_b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a medium size Scout (35# bladder) that I dive very infrequently. My wife decided she would like to try back inflate; she has a jacket BC right now. She liked the Scout but it was far too big. Rather than buy another Scout in a smaller size (she's 5 feet even and just about 100 lbs. so I'm worried even the smallest size might be big for her) I'm thinking about reconfiguring it.

My first thought is to buy an Express Tech backplate, and then just add webbing and hardware to taste--I'm sure she'll benefit from a crotch stap. I've viewed the video from scuba.com showing how the ET system goes together and can see how the Scout wing would attach; it looks like all the hardware already exists on the Scout model.

Two questions:
(1) The Scout's rear weight pockets seem to be sewn into the standard harness. Has anyone removed theirs and reused them in another configuration? Or I am I seeing incorrectly and they are not actually sewn in?

(2) Is a smaller size ("XS" size) Scout harness available anywhere? If it costs close to what I'd spend reconfiguring it might be nice to just swap that part out.

Any other ideas you might have about resizing would be great!

to bad the scout doesn't use "PFS" but the sm shoulder are small 14-18 inch shoulder to waist. you might look at the junior ranger that an xs at 12-15

I had sort of hoped to avoid completely buying a new BC--I know I have a couple of options that would re-use the Scout wing. Ranger Jr. is an interesting idea, though.

Ok, I disassembled the Scout and found that it doesn't use the "Bladder Attachment Straps" (shown as part of the Express Tech assembly in the scuba.com video); rather the camband staps run through the open triglides in the wing. I've seen these bladder attachment straps referred to in Zeagle's BC manuals as only necessary when using doubles, but it seems that they would provide important additional stability. Maybe the way the tank-grip pads are threaded provides that stability--it seems to in the case of the standard Scout.

I've also confirmed that the rear weight pockets are sewn into the BC harness/webbing assembly (rather than the wing) so if I want to re-use them I'll have to remove the stitching. They look pretty robust, though, and have loops to attach to the cambands of any Zeagle product with the same camband spacing.

I've also confirmed that the triglide attachments on the wing do not line up at all with the camband slots on my Halcyon backplate--I was just curious about that and expected that it wouldn't line up.

So, a couple of questions for the Zeagle folks:

(1) Do you sell the basic Scout harness (sans wing) separately in XS size?

(2) Do I need to use the bladder attachment straps when attaching a Scout wing to the Express Tech backplate, or is camband threading sufficient? If so, which size would I need for the 35# Scout wing?

Ok, I disassembled the Scout and found that it doesn't use the "Bladder Attachment Straps" (shown as part of the Express Tech assembly in the scuba.com video); rather the camband staps run through the open triglides in the wing. I've seen these bladder attachment straps referred to in Zeagle's BC manuals as only necessary when using doubles, but it seems that they would provide important additional stability. Maybe the way the tank-grip pads are threaded provides that stability--it seems to in the case of the standard Scout.

I've also confirmed that the rear weight pockets are sewn into the BC harness/webbing assembly (rather than the wing) so if I want to re-use them I'll have to remove the stitching. They look pretty robust, though, and have loops to attach to the cambands of any Zeagle product with the same camband spacing.

I've also confirmed that the triglide attachments on the wing do not line up at all with the camband slots on my Halcyon backplate--I was just curious about that and expected that it wouldn't line up.

So, a couple of questions for the Zeagle folks:

(1) Do you sell the basic Scout harness (sans wing) separately in XS size?

(2) Do I need to use the bladder attachment straps when attaching a Scout wing to the Express Tech backplate, or is camband threading sufficient? If so, which size would I need for the 35# Scout wing?

Sometimes the project just isn't worth the effort.
The Scout is an inexpensive model and should be easy to move on to someone it fits.
Maybe look at an Express Teck with a pad kit and a 519-WS120 weight system.
It might fit better on a smaller person than what you end up with at the end of your project. Just sayin'

Capt. Gene, am I missing something about the Scout wing? Is it somehow different than the optional 35# wing for the Express Tech? I had assumed that Zeagle wings were interchangeable...

1. We don't make the Scout in size XS, and we don't less the components seperately.

2. You can attach the Scout bladder to the Express Tech without the bladder attachment straps. Just hook it up exactly how your Scout has it.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

Great info, will get an ET plate and some webbing then. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom