Cool Stuff - Gold Coin Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
For the treasure hunters out there.

I viewed this coin the other day here in Charleston SC. It was about 12 inches from my eyes. They have it insured for $12 million. Interesting inscription by George Dixon. I also visited his grave in Magnolia cemetary. It has a confederate battle flag, waving in the wind, standing above it.

The coin was found a few years ago offshore Charleston SC.

Gold Coin Here

Reference:

The most celebrated artifact found on board the Confederate submarine H. L. Hunley is going on public display.
The gold coin good-luck piece of sub commander Lt. George E. Dixon will be part of regular tours at the Warren Lasch Conservation Center beginning Nov. 16.
Officials at the lab have toyed for months with putting the coin on display, and they said Friday that security concerns that delayed the exhibition have been solved. Last month, the sub's snorkel tubes and rudder were added to the weekend tours, along with the Union soldier I.D. tag found around the neck of the sub's first officer.
The medallion exhibit was a test run for the coin, which has been sequestered in a hidden location since it was found in May 2001. Since then, few people have seen the coin.
The legend of the coin was one of the unsubstantiated rumors surrounding the first submarine to sink an enemy ship in combat. The story, recorded in the letters of Dixon's comrades in the 21st Alabama, holds that the young soldier's sweetheart, Queenie Bennett, gave Dixon a gold piece before he marched off to war in October 1861.
At the battle of Shiloh, Dixon was shot early in the fighting, but the bullet that would have killed him instead hit the coin, which absorbed the brunt of the impact.
Legend has it that Dixon carried the warped coin with him everywhere after that.
On the final night of excavating the submarine, chief archaeologist Maria Jacobsen pulled the coin from the muck where Dixon's pants pocket would have been.
It is an 1860 gold $20 Lady Liberty coin, warped from a Minie ball's impact. Scientists also found that the coin had an inscription added by Dixon. It reads:

Shiloh
April 6th, 1862
My life Preserver
G.E.D.

Warren Lasch, the chairman of Friends of the Hunley, says the coin "symbolizes a love story that touches the heart of anyone who gazes upon it."
On Dixon's left thigh bone, scientists have found a trench and spur marking where the bullet hit, leaving Dixon with a limp for the final two years of his life. Scientists say the coin saved Dixon's leg, and probably his life.
State Sen. Glenn McConnell also said Friday that next week scientists will unveil new artifacts found in the Hunley.
The Lasch Conservation Center is open for tours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Tickets cost $10 and are available at 1-877-4HUNLEY or on the Internet at Etix.

I love this type of stuff, Thanks for Posting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom