H.L. Hunley Crew Funeral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if there were any film crews doing documentaries on the Hunley funeral this weekend? I would LOVE to see them, if there were. I heard a report on the festivities this morning on NPR. I'll bet it was really moving. And, I can't wait to see SeaJay and Raven dressed up in period costumes at the ball!

BTW -- We TOLD you the South would rise again!! :biggrin2:

SeaJay and RavenC went with us to the ball. They looked great! RavenC was wearing a period ball gown and was so convincing as a southern belle, we thought she fell through a time warp. SeaJay was dashing as a confederate officer and affected a limp all night to complete the persona. The funny thing was that by the end of the night, he was complaining that his leg really was starting to hurt!

The ball was fabulous, and we felt priviledged to be able to see all of the meticulous reenectors in their impeccible period dress dancing just like they did over 150 years ago. The spotless manners of the gentlemen and ladies really highlighted the fact that as a polite society, IMHO we have really gone backward rather than forward in how we treat each other.

We even saw President Lincoln there, but there was no sign of J.W. Booth.

There were a lot of camera crews around all day, so I'll keep an ear open for any documentaries that may come out of it. I'll leave the funeral report to SeaJay and RavenC.

National Geographic was the only media covering the event. They ported out their coverage to the local media companies. NG is going to be doing a documentary, but I would not expect it until the late summer at the earlier.

Man what an awesome and moving event. It was really done nice. No real protesters either, which I really take my hat off to both sides of the fence on. Great job by everyone.

Back
Top Bottom