Coolpix L3 w/Housing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaPhillip

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Nikon Coolpix L3
FANTASEA FL-3 Underwater Housing
SUNPAK G-Flash

I purchased the items listed above this year. I've used my Sea & Sea 35mm camera for years and wanted to upgrade to something that takes nice underwater pictures with out spending hundreds of dollars on film. Anyone have any advise or tips for using a set up like this? Am I in for a lot hassle underwater or have I made a good move?

Thanks,

ScubaPhillip

DSCF1725.JPG

I have the same camera and case. I'm happy with the fantasea case although I have had others call the flat sealing gasket inferior to o-ring seals. Personally, I have been careful to keep the seal clean and have had no problems whatsoever. The controls are well positioned and work well.

The Nikon L series has a pretty substantial delay which takes some getting used to. I do not yet have a strobe, so shooting available light for me may be worse than what you experience with the strobe.

Your G-Flash has been panned on this forum as having a poor seal to the battery cover. I believe several have been returned, but owners seem to think floods are inevitable. I know many will say thats true of ANYTHING we try to keep dry while diving but this specific example may be in another league.

Best of luck and please post your experience with the rig.

You might want to block off the camera flash and add an optical sync cord to the external strobe. A longer arm on it also would help.

Jack

Thanks Doug and Jack for your helpful advice and feedback. I will look in to adding an optical sync cord to the external strobe. Above water I think I have the external flash in sync. Doug, what camera setting is best to operate on? I notice I have many options to choose from.

scubaPhillip:
Doug, what camera setting is best to operate on? I notice I have many options to choose from.

Phillip;

I'm absolutely a rank amateur u/w photographer so please take anything I say with a grain a salt!

In general I try to keep major manipulation of the camera while in the water to a minimum. So I try to use the mode selector switch to my advantage by setting up my most likely scenarios between the auto and scene mode positions. Since I don't have a strobe as yet, most of my shots are taken in either macro mode with the internal flash on, or for longer general shots in auto mode with no flash.

A fact to bear in mind with the selector switch in 'scene' is if you try to modify parameters of one of the basic mode types you will lose them upon returning to scene after changing the selector. EG - if I set macro mode on, and turn the internal flash on (which is not part of the basic macro mode) then switch to auto on the selector - the flash is again off when I go back to scene. On the other hand, you can program auto mode (selector all the way to the left) to your hearts content and it will ALWAYS retain those settings even after a power off/on.

As an aside, I found that actuating the control for the mode switch was tricky at times until I roughed up the bottom of the rubber disk with sandpaper. Now I no longer have to press the disk hard against the switch to get it to slide.

So - I have been programming my macro mode to the left selector switch setting and then experimenting with a mode for longer shots that works okay without having to modify it. Right now I'm using 'back light' mode.

My biggest complaints about the L3 are the lack of any manual ASA control, and a long pause from focus to the shot. In my experience the L3 seems to want to shoot at about 50 asa even in low light conditions. If you or anyone else in this thread know how to solve this issue I'd really like to hear about it. With regard to the long pause, I'm considering going from 'back light' mode to 'sports' mode. In the sports mode, the goal is to take pictures as fast as possible. The book says 1.7 frames per second is achievable. This is accomplished by constant focusing even with your finger off the shutter button. I would think the downside of that would be higher draw on your batteries.

Looks like I've droned on more than enough for one post.

Good luck with your photos. Let us know how it goes for you.

Sports mode, yes. I was thinking of leaving on that mode for all my initial future dives. I have a Bonaire trip in January where I will be able to really get a feel for this new set-up I have.

Hey, thanks for answering. You were helpful.

Phillip

Back
Top Bottom