Cooper River, South Carolina dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no, I believe that the comment was in reference to alligators, crocs, and the like....BIGGER friends to dive with and "share" the water with.

Yikes!
That's exactly what I meant. If you're diving northern rivers in eastern NC, the alligators/crocs (which are they??) are small guys, maybe a foot long. As you go further south, the larger they get. I've never heard of anyone attacked, but you need to know when mating season is so you can avoid them -- I hear they're pretty aggressive. :eyebrow: Note that this is all hearsay, but from some friends I completely trust.

Rawls, I'll see if I can glean some info for you. You and I are in almost the exact same position, except that I have heard a (small) bit of what to do. :)

Last edited:
There are no "crocs" in North America - plenty of gators. A female diver was killed by a gator inn the Cooper River a few years ago.

Hey NOVIZWHIZ, I think that diver/snorkeler was killed in Florida. I don't think we've ever had a diver attacked by a gator on the Cooper River. The attack that happened on Lake Moultrie last year involved a snorkeler who was noodeling for catfish.

There are no "crocs" in North America - plenty of gators. A female diver was killed by a gator inn the Cooper River a few years ago.

You may want to google "American Crocodile". They are endangered, found in Florida, but they exist. I found this out in Key Largo a couple of years ago.

MY BAD! You're right ...the one I was referring to was NOT a fatality...supposedly she was attacked by the gator in about 60 ft of water...this was about 10 years ago...

AND CROCS IN SOUTH FLA!!!!! Didn't know that - of course I'm on a first name basis with most of the gators in my area - but CROCS IN SOUTH FLA!!! uh-uh, not me....

First time I took a buddy in the Ashepoo, he's all big eyed pointing at a gator - saying look at them two gators over there - his eyes got a LOT bigger when I pointed out he was seeing ONE gator...not two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom