Cooper River, South Carolina dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took my son and daughter in July, with Off the Wall Diving out of Sumter. It was great! We ended up with 28 whole teeth, one was a bit over 6 inches, 26 gragments, fossilized whale bone, stingray barb, and other unidentified bone fossils. Fantastic day. I wish I could go with you guys.

Nice finds Rawls. You should try diving in rivers in eastern NC. :D

SparticleBrane:
Nice finds Rawls. You should try diving in rivers in eastern NC.

Spart...I do want to dive some of the rivers around Eastern NC...since I live around here:) The guys I went diving with had been to the Cooper several times and gave me good dive briefs about diving the river. I would not want to dive any of the rivers around here until I found someone who has experience diving them because I don't. Any suggestions? One place I would like to dive is right around the Washington waterfront in the Pamlico.

keep in mind that there are other rivers in SC that hold the big teeth - Ashepoo has always been a realy good spot but there is NO ...I mean NO viz. I dove the Ashepoo, Combahee (Megaladon) and Edisto (small teeth) 30 years ago - Morgan River in Beaufort has been "hot" for the last few years - lotsa teeth there (but still attched to the shark...big sharks) and viz is again ZERO. Say...how do you post photos on this thing?

NOVIZWHIZ:
Say...how do you post photos on this thing?

Establish a Photobucket account. Click on upload photos and Photobucket will give you the browse option. Click on browse and click on the photo you want and click ok. You can upload as many as you want by this method. After you have them uploaded click on the html for the particular pic you want. Hit Conrol C to copy. Then go to the reply area on SB and hit Control V. The html codes will show up and once you click "Post reply" the photos will show up. The exact terms I used for the Photobucket upload are probably not verbatim but you will be able to follow it pretty easily. You can also copy them from your photo gallery on SB but they look better if you do it via Photobucket or a similar site that will give you a html code. Hope this helps.

I know people, but they're very secretive. It's like pulling teeth (forgive the pun :D) to get any info out of them sometimes. I don't have much experience diving rivers, but I do know that the whole 'team' concept that I'm used to essentially goes out the window with such reduced vis -- just part of the game if you want to play!

From what I understand, essentially all rivers east of I-95 in NC are full of fossils. Just remember that the further south you go, the bigger the 'friends' in the water get. :11:

Spart...That was exactly the same thing with diving the Cooper River as the team concept doesn't work. I ended up going solo on each dive. Me and a buddy tried to stay together on one dive but it didn't come close to working. The current was simply too strong and the visibility...zero. One of the dives was at 60 feet and I cannot tell you how surreal it was hanging on a reel on ascent and it being pitch black until I got to about five feet from the surface. It was still a fantastic experience.
I'm not quite clear on your comment about the bigger the "friends" in the water get the further south you go...Are you saying that it is easier to find divers who will be willing to help with info on the rivers to dive...or are they less willing. I have no idea how to get started if I don't know anyone to contact. One of my biggest concerns regarding rivers in Eastern NC involves bottom composition....old sunken trees and such. Once again...There is no way I would do a dive like that if I have no one who has experience to dive with me. If you ever talk to some of the divers you know ask them if they would be willing to help out...I agree that there has to be a load of things in these rivers....

no, I believe that the comment was in reference to alligators, crocs, and the like....BIGGER friends to dive with and "share" the water with.

Yikes!

I can deal with the gators...but I HATE SNAKES......crocs? I have a real fear of somebody tossing some unwanted pirahna in a creek.....

Back
Top Bottom