Copyright

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pufferpunk

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning on having my best slides loaded onto a disc, so I can post them & send them to my friends. How can I prevent them from being copied?

In some web page programs, there is a way to disable the left click option of saving the picture. But to post them on these message boards and send through email, they are pretty much fair game for copying.

There are a few things you can do to make those copies pretty usless except for viewing on a computer monitor.

One way is to keep them at 72dpi. The low resolution will prevent printing. You can also put a copywrite symbol on them with your name or simply "Your Name copywrite 2002"

But if you want absolutely no one to have the ability to copy them...don't put them on the internet!

dee let me help you out since i do this all of the time

first off pufferpunk i will make it easy to understand, but if the person can see picture on the screen they can steal it, but there are ways to prevent it from happening but it requires some knowledge of several things

first thing to do would make it a right mouse click disable script, but the way around it is to go to View > View source and they will see the pic and can grab it. if your going to do this make sure it doenst prompt or tell the user anything because if they get prompted they will go to the thing above.

2. would be in photoshop or a other photo editor and put another layer over the top with your name or company on it with the copy right logo on it

3. is to put a big water mark over the image that is see through the image but its there so i will make a bad print.

4. is register the image with digimarc, which is a service that with the help of a 1 pixel program can track the photo anywere on the web.

last is the option that i mention to someone is that i find out that they have mad unauthorized prints or are reselling them, i can and will sue them for any and all potential lost revenue from the images. i do this when they signfor the images or work, it has stopped alot of people making prints that will look horrid if they do them on there consumer printer, and then word will get about that im a bad photographer which causes my images a good quality photographer .

there was person who didnt beleive and did so anyway( he had made a couple of prints and tried to pass them of as his own, when a friend of mine alerted me of it ) because they thought that they were there images forgot to read the print in the delievery notice, and i collected $750 per image on the cd and there were 25 images on it, and he thought i was joking when i gave him notice of the bill, he thought i was joking till the next day when i filed a claim in claims court, and he soon paid up. the prints that he sold ended up costing him even more because he it was less then the damages againist him.

if you need anymore advice email me from my profile

FWIW

If I put a copyright symbol on my photos, what's to stop someone from copying them, editing them to remove my copyright symbol and putting their own on it, or pretending that it was never copyright?

If I put a copyright symbol on my photos, what's to stop someone from copying them, editing them to remove my copyright symbol and putting their own on it, or pretending that it was never copyright?

Fear of god, fear of the law, conscience, morals...maybe.

There is no perfect answer here.

The real issue is to keep your work private until you have a legitimate channel through which you derive revenue. If some one rips off your work, and the injuries are demonstrable, sue them.

BTW -- if you can't prove economic damages, you're not likely to collect much if you do sue. You're like to lose money that way. (I am not a lawyer and I do know that the laws pertaining to copyright vary from place to place...)

Hi, gang!

I have read this thread several times and, finally, decided to give you the uncopyrighted benefit of my experience.

The single most important thing for you to know is that suing a person or organization is a very expensive process. So, unless your photo is used on the cover of Skin Diver, National Geographic, or the like, it is not very probable that any attorney will take your case on a contingency basis. However, you could pay one heck of an upfront retainer. And, then, you better be prepared for a lot of silence on the other end of the phone line when you call.

This is especially true if the case has to be tried outside your home state or your country of residence. This is especially true if you are an amatuer photographer with no previous sales of photos that will establish your value.

To put it in technical terms, it jes' ain't worth 'nuf.

In regard to "watermarking" your photos: whatever Photoshop can do, Photoshop can undo. Or make "better"!

So, just do like the Ronco guy says, "Post it and forget it," or something like that.

Scorpionfish

If keeping track of images and having a strong legal recourse for preventing their reuse is needed, you might check out http://www.digimarc.com/imaging/default.asp , which is a digital watermarking service for photographers.

It can cost as little as $50/yr (for up to 100 images), which is probably outside the range of easy justification for most photographers. For those who need the capability, however, it looks quite nice (I don't use it. nor do I know people who do. They are the first result googling for "Digital watermark")

jeff

scorpain fish

first off the water mark i put on the images is not easily removed, and more over itcovers the whole image so its alot of work to remove it, and its dead obivous. also i put some other items in linke the shadows of the image that until you blow it up to over a 1000% to read the micro dot.

also you line about photoshop, its not possible, but your welcome to prove me wrong.

do this
go on to a major search engine and type in B&H photo and go to anyone of there products and remove the watermark on the page , and then come postthe before and after pictures here.

awaiting your reply

another question on copyright, some woman has seen my photo's and said she likes them and were just what she was looking for and she is going to paint (abstract) pictures of my photo's and (hopefully) sell them.

I have said on my site that people are welcome to se them for non profit or business use unless they want to pay me.

would I be entitled to a cut of her sales as she used my photo's?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom