Question Coral Disease in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Given the coral disease and die-off and the turtles and puffers mass mortality event, do you think we should give the reef a rest and dive other places for awhile? The recent articles about the condition of the reef are very sad. I was planning a return trip in 2024 but won't be going now.

I've not seen or heard anything else on the puffer mass die off since it happened, not sure if that is because it's not going on anymore or not.

Unfortunately, it seems like most places in the Caribbean have already been hit with SCTLD, are in the process of getting hit (such as in Bonaire and Curacao), or are inevitably on the horizon. I recently visited Little Cayman, and while the corals looked healthy and there were no signs of SCTLD, they are aware that it's only a matter of time before it reaches there as well. They were taken precautions on if you had recently dived in the last month in the Caribbean they would take your gear and sanitize it before letting you dive.

I'm currently booked to spend a week in Curacao and then a week in Bonaire in October. I haven't seen as much SCTLD talk about Curacao as Bonaire but from what others have reported they are dealing with similar issues that started around the same timeframe.

My regular Bonaire group and I are going elsewhere this summer because the SCTLD precautions we're expected to heed are more than our group wants to have to think about when on vacation. To us, the whole appeal of Bonaire is that we don't have to think about much of anything; it's as carefree as diving gets.

I had not heard of any "mass mortality" event involving turtles and puffers, but giving the reef a rest sounds like a good idea in all respects. I wish the cruise ships would give it a rest, too. Sorry, Bonaireans.

Beware the Law of Unintended Consequences. Over time there's been concern amongst the dive community that Bonaire government appears dissatisfied with the income from diving and other relatively 'natural habitat friendly' activities, and seems open to accommodating other industry that may be detrimental to our interests.

A sudden lull in dive tourism might encourage that mode of thinking. I, too, am unenthused about going when I may need to observe new protocols, etc... I still hope Bonaire gets a good level of dive tourism, though.

My regular Bonaire group and I are going elsewhere this summer because the SCTLD precautions we're expected to heed are more than our group wants to have to think about when on vacation. To us, the whole appeal of Bonaire is that we don't have to think about much of anything; it's as carefree as diving gets.

I had not heard of any "mass mortality" event involving turtles and puffers, but giving the reef a rest sounds like a good idea in all respects. I wish the cruise ships would give it a rest, too. Sorry, Bonaireans.It is the

It is low season so cruise ships are minimal now compared to what it will be in November. But most who live here either part-time or full would rather them be gone. Ever been in the water nearby when those engines start-up or even the horns?

My first ever night dive (part of AOW) was off the Divi dock, directly next to the cruise port. Our instructor had no clue a boat was leaving 30 minutes after we got in the water. We found a decent mooring to grab as the ensuing sandstorm took place and current pulled us towards the boat. Seeing the fish and corals being pulled towards the port, actually snapping infantile corals by the current made me realize we should sink every cruise ship on the planet. Since then, I’m the sicko that jumps in around cruise/transport ships coming/going (at safe distances), solely because it helps ground myself in how awful human beings are to the planet. You hear those ominous sounds and understand why Orcas want to attack boats.(that old car transport ship that visits regularly is THE WORST)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom