Corrective Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickyd once bubbled...
I always always always ( did I say ALWAYS? ) put my mask in a mask box, and store it away from any equipment. That means not ON the boat bench, where other divers will drop tanks and weights on it; not under the bench, where it will be kicked out and stepped on, etc... I do occaisionally, based on the boat, take a plastic crate and place it under the bench, to store all my miscellaneous stuff in, including my mask - of course in its container! That work great.

Did I say NEVER leave the mask out of its box ( unless its on your face ), and near anything that can fall, step, crush it??? :)
I've found a good spot is on the valve of the tank with my BC, locked in place using the velcro strap of my beanie hood through the yoke of the reg.

Just be sure your tank is bungied it, or otherwise secured!

I was investigating having lenses put into my mask. I bought a mask that accepts the pop in lenses. But I was curious about the magnifying effect of water and wondered if it would be worth the $180 for my bifocals. Since water magnifys stuff and around here you usally cannot see much futher that 25-30 feet I was not sure the difference would justify the cost.

So I went to my local optomitrist and got a trial pair of contacts and test dove them. My optomitrist is a diver (went to him specifically because he was) and he suggested going with the disposable contacts. That way I avoid the hassels of losing a $180 lense set if my mask gets steped on or lost. I can also see when I have my mask off.

I use one contace set for distance and one for up close. The lenses are use once throw away so disinfecting is not an issue and cost about $0.50 per dive so not a problem if one gets washed out of my eye. They are also very comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom